• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trouble changing the boot animation.

SkinJob

Oct 5, 2010
I just installed LeeDroid 2.2b on my Desire. When it starts, there's a screen that looks like a PC Bios screen that shows stuff being loaded. It plays R2D2 noises. That's followed by an ASCII Android picture and the LeeDroid logo. I'd like to remove all of that. Especially the R2D2 noises. I downloaded some boot animations and here's what I did:

- Created a folder called "local" in the "data" folder. (there was no "local" folder already, nor a "system/media").
- Dropped a bootanimation.zip into the "local" folder of the SD card, via USB (Windows). File was present on that folder.
- Rebooted
- Nothing happened. :(
R2D2 came back to sing me "I Will Annoy You Now".

Is it even possible to change LD's boot process? (I'm not sure if the BIOS screen is an animation or its actually calculating stuff, and will bork everything if removed). If Root Explorer, Android Mate or something like that works, great, as I'd prefer not to have to mess around with installing drivers and all that sdk stuff! But would they do anything different then I already did via USB, since I am able to place the file anywhere on the FAT32 partition? (Although if the boot file needs to be on the ext3 partition or otherwise outside fat32, that's another story.....).

I wonder, has anyone succeeded at changing the boot process in LeeDroid?

UPDATE:

Solved the (formidable!) challenge of changing the bootscreen on a LeeDroid ROM. After installing ADB/SDK, feeding arcane Linux commands via console to the device (push/pull/tear hair/spit/growl), after that not working (mount/remount/,rw/permission not granted/s-off/f-off....) I finally succeeded in two seconds with genius Klutsh little fix. It moves the files from system/blahblahblah/recovery/blah to data/local. From there, it's smooth sailing to change the boot anim. Went from "overgeek" to a stylish "boing animation" of yellow concentric circles, no R2D2 bleeps. Thought briefly of creating my own boot screen, 'cos I wanted an Eve/Wall-E animation. Still pondering whether it's worth the time, considering I have to freeze frames off a YouTube video and cvt to proper png, etc...

Here are the fixes if anyone else is in the same boat:

http://android.modaco.com/content/h.../mod-2-0x-sense-bootanimtion-from-data-local/

-----------
Thanks. So can it be installed by Root Explorer, Android-Mate or something simple, or did you use the ADB SDK to change the boot on a LeeDroid install?

Reactions: Sak01 and Mohsin
Upvote 0
UPDATE:

Solved the (formidable!) challenge of changing the bootscreen on a LeeDroid ROM. After installing ADB/SDK, feeding arcane Linux commands via console to the device (push/pull/tear hair/spit/growl), after that not working (mount/remount/,rw/permission not granted/s-off/f-off....) I finally succeeded in two seconds with genius Klutsh little fix. It moves the files from system/blahblahblah/recovery/blah to data/local. From there, it's smooth sailing to change the boot anim. Went from "overgeek" to a stylish "boing animation" of yellow concentric circles, no R2D2 bleeps. Thought briefly of creating my own boot screen, 'cos I wanted an Eve/Wall-E animation. Still pondering whether it's worth the time, considering I have to freeze frames off a YouTube video and cvt to proper png, etc...

Here are the fixes if anyone else is in the same boat:

[MOD] 2.0x Sense bootanimtion from /data/local - Android @ MoDaCo

-----------
Thanks. So can it be installed by Root Explorer, Android-Mate or something simple, or did you use the ADB SDK to change the boot on a LeeDroid install?

Thanks a lot for this! Had been trying to do this for days without success, and this made it delightfully easy! Many thanks for updating the thread and posting the relevant links.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones