Trouble Connecting to WiFiSupport

Last Updated:

1. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Using a Linksys wireless router with a WEP encryption at home. Every time I try to connect my phone says "Obtaining IP Address" and then after a short time it fails.

-Yes, my phone recognizes the router.
    -Yes, I have the correct key.
    -Yes, I have reset my router and modem, no change.
    -Yes, I have restarted my phone.
    -Yes, my phone connects just fine to unsecured wireless routers.
    -No, I cannot find another thread that has solved this issue.

Anyone know how to fix this?:eek:

Advertisement
  2. prot0type

prot0type Member

When you're typing in the key, make sure ALL of it is there, but by that I mean the very last letter/number. My Dlink router's WPA2 key was a digit too long and when I copy/pasted that into my phone, I didn't realize the last digit was cut off and couldn't connect. Even after trying to type it in, no go.

3. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the correct key. It's still not working.

4. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

What strength of WEP are you using?

I've got 0 issue so far on 64-bit, haven't tried 128 but will when I get home.

5. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

I have an Access Point of different make. Took me some time to finally connect to the AP with 128-bit WEP. On Moment, I used Settings > Wireless Controls > Wi-Fi Settings > "Add Wi-Fi Network" and enabled "Show Password" to make sure I was typing it right. And, I left the key type to "Auto". Hope this helps.

6. williamsck1

williamsck1 Member

I have a different issue. It connects but does not pass data. I double checked the settings against my Hero and even swapped IP's but still no data passed. Any Ideas?

7. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

i'd try unsecuring your router and try to connect to it just to make sure it's not your router. i haven't had any issue with mine - WPA-PSK secured...

also, make sure you don't have any sort of security set within the router itself (allowing only devices that it recognizes to connect).

i guess that's just a few thoughts...

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

With all these issues, troubleshoot one step at a time.

Remove all security on the routers, make it an open wifi network, and see if the Moment can connect. Then add on a simple security password, and try that and see if it will connect. If it connects with a very simple security password, chances are your passwords are entered wrong in the Moment.

You're going to have to take it one step at a time to connect.

And ditch WEP, it's virtually no security. I'm connected to my WPA2 personal AES secured network with my Moment and I connected on the first try.

9. williamsck1

williamsck1 Member

I have checked the settings and found when my Moment logs onto the router, the MAC shows up but not the IP. Its blank. When the Hero logs on I can seep the IP. I believe it to be a 128b issue.

10. AndroidSPCS

sounds like MAC filter is applied? If so turn it off.

11. williamsck1

williamsck1 Member

Nope, it does not like WEP. changed to WPA2-PSK [AES] and worked like a champ

12. AndroidSPCS

Great to hear. WEP is crap any way.

13. williamsck1

williamsck1 Member

Just to clarify for everyone. The HTC Hero would not connect unless I broadcast the SSID, which I hate. I already have an ACL in place because I was still using WEP and have DHCP disabled so no one could jump on my network unless their MAC was on the ACL, had an IP in my range and the code. When I added the Moments MAC to the ACL and assigned an IP to it, it would log-on but not pass data. When I looked at my router, it would see the MAC and the connection but couldnt display the IP. For whatever reason the Moment wouldnt or couldnt broadcast the IP given, thus no data would pass. Changed the router to WPA2-PSK [AES] and it worked like a champ. I still hate broadcasting my SSID but its needed for the phones.

14. dkjones96

Weird. I use WEP at work and my Moment is okay(Linksys). It's unfortunately required since we run a lot of computers on W2K but not a concern since our wireless can't penetrate the outside walls of our building anyways.

What firmware are you running on your routers? I'm using Tomato at home and had zero issues on all settings but I normally run that WiFi open.

15. williamsck1

williamsck1 Member

Running the standard OS for a Netgear WPN824 extended range. Have not hacked this router. No need to, the Setup was easy and the range is awesome and easy to setup ACL's. Coming from an old Cisco 4000 from work, I like this one.

16. dkjones96

I had to change out the firmware. The factory stuff was a joke. Nice to have the print server on the router but the stupid thing would lock up within 10 minutes of starting a torrent and I couldn't have that.

I just use the USB on the router for network mass storage.

17. honzyboy

honzyboy New Member

I had trouble connecting to the Linksys n-series at my workplace. I added my phone to the Dmz and now it connects perfectly. I have a new Samsung nexus s and I have had no other connection problems anywhere else. Anyone see any problem with being in the dmz?