Trouble getting started with HandcentSupport

Last Updated:

1. gatorbri

gatorbri Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I gave in and decided to download Handcent. I wasn't overly impressed with the HTC Message Widget and have heard such great things about Handcent.

But, I'm having trouble getting the widget to work right. I have a blank home screen and added the Handcent SMS Widget to it. I thought that should make a full-screen widget like the other do. But instead it is just putting a tiny little Handcent icon as if it was a shortcut to the program (which essentially is what it is because if I click on it then Handcent opens). I have done this multiple times to make sure I was putting the widget and not the program there.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Advertisement
  2. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

i personally tried handcent and didn't like it. i also didn't like the stock app so i installed chomp and have been using it ever since...

it is customizable enough for me, and easy to use...

3. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

The widget is just an app icon, but updates with the number of messages you have (like the mail app). If you want a widget, you can still use the default messaging widget - just be aware that any actions you take from it will launch the stock messaging app.

4. gatorbri

gatorbri Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any chance they will create a full text messaging widget? I'd love to have a full home screen for texting similar to the stock HTC messaging widget, but using the Handcent interface.

5. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

6. ral2108

ral2108 Active Member

so you are supposed to be able to use HTC Messaging Widget and choose handcent as the default. I am running 2.1 leak v3, i cleared defaults for handcent and messages app. Now, the little back arrow in the bottom left corner prompts me which app to use, but the list and compose buttons still default to messages app. Any idea? Or is that just the way it is?