• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trouble rooting - stuck at "Starting Fastboot USB download protocol"

akamad

Oct 30, 2011
Australia
Hi all,
I have the ASUS Transformer TF300T. I decided to root the device.

I was following the steps as listed on a couple of websites, including here. I successfully unlocked the bootloader (I know this because I get the message in the top left corner when booting the device). I am now up to the step of running fastboot.

The problem is, when I restart the device and get into fastboot mode (using the power+volume down button), I get a message stating "Starting Fastboot USB download protocol". It unfortunately doesn't move on from that message. I checked "fastboot devices" on my computer, but it doesn't pick up anything.

I tried in both Windows and Linux. Both have the same results. If I have the tablet turned on normally, I can run "adb devices" and it shows up (so I'm assuming the drivers are all ok).

Any thoughts or things to try out? I have tried enabling USB debugging and as I mentioned I tried on Linux and Windows.

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones