• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root trouble sending picture messages

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
so i just picked myself up a little eris to root and play with :p

uve had it all of 4 days,now,lol. i dint mess with it alot as it came. did the 1 click root the night i got it and flashed tazz vanilla the next morning. a couple hours ago i flashed froshedyo.v10. yesterday i changed my recovery to scary aliens "trackball optional" version.

been secretly lurking for awhile and ive managed to figure all this out with some searching and reading no prollem but im now having an issue that has me stumped.

picture messages will say "sending" for up to 2 or 3 hours. doesnt appear to matter if send it from the gallery,or attach it from within a message. ive been experimenting with the GFs phone(sending the pics to it),so i know that they dont actually arrive until several minutes to several hours later when my phone actually says "sent".

when i first flashed the rom,the first couple of pics i sent went just fine. im not sure how many i may have sent before having trouble... not very many. maybe 5 or 6.

with tazzvanilla id occasionally get a quick message pop up that read "service unavailable message will be sent when it becomes available". text only messages have always,and continue to go thru just fine.

i thot maybe it was an issue with the rom. i did reboot my phone,wich dint have an impact,so im now trying froshedyo. same issue so im thinking its prolly not the roms fault.

also i still seem to be able to upload to facebook or attach them to email just fine.

anyone have any ideas? is there a setting or something im missing? :thinking: or does it sound like i have some sort of harware prollem?

an update:

it was suggested in another thread that my prollem might be connected to having the wifi on,do i did some experimentation with that. turned wifi off,sent some pics to the GF. they dint go. waited about 20 minutes before turning it back on to mess with some other stuff. about 3 hours later i turned it back off,and went to meet the GF at applebees. sent a pic while sittin there,and voila all 4 of em went. sent her 3 or 4 more and they all went. right before we left sent her one last one,and this morning it is still sending. :mad:

guess maybe ill restore my 2nd nand backup(wich would be the OTA 2.1 with rootme.zip flashed) and play with the stock rom and see what happens. i cant think of anything else to try :(

Upvote 0
mmkay. so i flashed my 2nd nand backup,wich was rooted OTA 2.1. sent 6 pics... all went straight thru. :thinking: wifi on and all.

sooo... wiped and went back to froshedyo. this time i did a battery wipe as well,and i set my min and max awake cpu speeds at 528.

came back up just fine,as id left it 2 hours ago. sent a pic... still sending. as is the one that was sending last night. :mad:

i guess next step is to give nonsensikal a try... but it doesnt make sense that id have the same trouble with 2 roms that are working fine for everyone else.

any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Perhaps you have data set not to roam, and you are roaming while you are at home?

It's something like:

settings->wireless & networks->mobile networks

You want "Data enabled" and "National data roaming" turned on.

It really sounds that way to me, because you are always able to send everything once you get away from home.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
thanks for the reply. i enabled national data roaming and rebooted my phone. made sure data was enabled. pics from last night and earlier this morning were still sending. tried to send another. it dint go either. few minutes later i forwarded the last pic i tried to send. all 4 of them went. "sweet" i thot,and tried to send another. dint go. so i tried the fwd trick again and nothing. a few minutes later the fwd is still sending :mad:

these last couple times,however,i now get a little mssg that reads "unable to download" or something to that effect... it flashes on then off pretty fast. if it has been popping up prior,this is the first time ive noticed it.

thanks again... this is drivin me nuts. ive got to be able to send pics if im gonna continue to use this phone :(

Upvote 0
flashed the latest nonsensikal and been playing with it for a couple hours. so far this is my favorite rom,i think...basic,and very smooth.

after it booted i messed with it for a few minutes and sent 6 pics. they all went right through. "hooray!" i thot... but then realized that wifi was off. so i enabled wifi and sent another pic. sure enuff,the "service not availble,your message will be sent" message flashed. crap! :mad:

so i turned off wifi and went backinto messaging. to my pleasant surprise,it had sent. so sent a couple more and they went. turned wifi back on and same deal. "sending" until i turned it off.

so looks like the prollem is being caused by,or at least connected to, wifi. but at least this rom doesnt get stuck in a "sending" loop for several hours before they go,so i guess i can live with it :)

thanks to all who contributed here and the other thread. hopefully this info may help someone in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones