Trouble setting up University Groupwise Email on Droid

Last Updated:

1. mewdotkai

mewdotkai New Member This Topic's Starter

I tried following the directions posted on my university's website and also contacted IT department but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Here are the directions I tried to follow:

---
    GroupWise IMAP

Configure Your IMAP Client
    Configure your IMAP client using these specifications:

• imaps.luc.edu is your "Inbound Mail," "INBOX server" or "Incoming E-mail server"
    • 993 is your "Port", for INBOX server Port," or "Incoming E-mail server Port"
    • SSL is your security setting.
    • mail.luc.edu is your "Outbound Mail," "SMTP gateway," or "Outgoing E-mail server" if Loyola is your Internet provider (see note below)
    • your Loyola Computer ID is your username
    • the client should check for new e-mail every 10 (or more) minutes
    Note: If you do not connect to the Internet through Loyola, your "Outbound Mail" or "Outgoing E-mail server" specification will NOT be mail.luc.edu. Check with your Internet service provider for the correct specification.
    ---

The outgoing email settings must be incorrect. After fooling around, I managed to make it work so that I can read my university email with email app but responses to said emails will end up going through my gmail account. I want to be able to send outgoing messages through my university address as well. It should be possible seeing as my university is offering IMAP functionality, plus my girlfriend goes to the same school and her Blackberry is synched up with the email server perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. code1321

code1321 Member

try smtp.mail.luc.edu i think thats what i did for my school one... i cant remember exactly, i just have everything forwarded to my gmail now and its a lot easier that way. hope it works for you!

3. mewdotkai

Thanks for trying but it doesn't look like that's working either =/

4. chairthrower

chairthrower New Member

The problem is that the campus' SMTP server is likely only allowing relaying from on-campus. Ideally, they'd provide an authenticated, encrypted SMTP gateway to allow smartphone and other off-campus users to send email through their own servers. If they don't you'll be stuck with your situation. You may be able to use the gmail SMTP settings with that account, and at least send email with the right sender address, but through gmail's servers. I don't know if Verizon provides an authenticated SMTP server which would be another option.

Also, see if you can connect to the campus network via WiFi and send email through the campus servers from there. If you can, then the fact that those ports aren't available from off-campus is the problem.

5. mewdotkai

Got this brief response from university IT:

"Unfortunately, our system does not support outgoing mail.
    Thank you"

Cute.
    Well, too bad I can't set my email up the way I wanted but now I'm curious. Why is my girlfriend's Blackberry fully capable of using the university's email server?

6. cap10mark

cap10mark Well-Known Member

7. gwguruman

gwguruman Member

Ask your IT department to look at the new "Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack" solution from Novell. This will allow the current ActiveSync client technology built into most smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc) to sync to Novell GroupWise 8 and >. Your IT department can test this today in their test lab to an Android based phone and many other smart phones - see Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack Technology Preview

Once they get this installed, you can use the built in Android Corporate Email APP and Corporate Calendar APP in your DROID phone to connect to your corporate GroupWise 8 backend using the ActiveSync protocol. Steps to get this to work are outlined at http://gwguruman.fileave.com/DROID%20Setup%20-%20Novell%20Data%20Synchronizer%20 Mobility%20Pack.pdf

8. svera1ny

svera1ny New Member

I'm also a Loyola student. Happened to find this page while google searching for the same issue with my Droid. I found a solution that works for me so I hope it'll work for you. First, set up your Gmail account on your computer to send from your LUC address. You don't have to set it as the default address or anything, just make sure it's there.

Once you've got that going, set up your incoming mail (IMAP) like the IT people tell you. But, for the outgoing mail, set it up for gmail. Here are the instructions for that: Configuring other mail clients - Gmail Help

Hope that helps! (Don't expect resnet to be of much help! lol)