trouble: something taking up all memory/storageSupport

Last Updated: 2012-03-27 01:14:49
  1. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

something is clearly taking all my RAM

- i'm getting random restarts (HARD restarts - seems like it takes ten mins to reboot)

- cant upgrad apps - or install new ones anymore ---- error msg says insufficient memory available

- google apps won't sync (gmail, contacts, calendar - this alone is KILLING me)

- my battery is draining fast too - in fact, i had a really important thing to do today but the phone died in the middle of the night so the alarm didn't wake me ----- so yeah, i'm just a tad miffed

its to the point where i'm about to just say !@#$ it and root the futher-mucker!

i'm asking here because taking the phone into TMo is useless - in fact, i've already done that and they sent me another phone - the problem went away, and now its back ---- so i'm pretty sure its not a hardware issue, its something in software - currently my working theory is one of my apps is taking all the memory and causing all of these problems

my fear is.. if i root it and the problem is one of my apps, the problem will just return

how do i troubleshoot this?

keep in mind i can't add/install any apps because "the thing thats causing the problem" is taking all the available storage

specifics...

int memory
    ----------
    total memory: 563MB
    used: 452MB
    free: 111MB

SD card
    --------
    total: 14.89
    avail: 9.71

*yes, i've moved as much as possible from int memory to the SDcard

Advertisement
  2. ZeroOne

ZeroOne Guest

Like new replacements are another poor souls heart aches.
    Rooting and flashing could solve software issues and in effect hardware fixes
    If its not to late.
    Options are that you know of or find the app when you can install avast or lookout tower to find problems in the future.
  3. SDscorch

not sure i understand what you're saying

??

could you re-state that simply?
  4. lucas.childers

lucas.childers Well-Known Member

If you are willing, defiantly root it. Your problems will probably go away, if it recognises the internal memory, then its a software thing. You could also try to reset it, but HTC'S default ROM is pretty bad and the issue will probably come back.

- Root it, and all of your problems will go away.
  5. shim

shim Member

Cache cleaner + is a good app. But you're saying an app is using all your memory and you can't install new apps, what apps are u running and what app is taking up all your internal space, I have the same phone, NOT rooted and i don't have that problem, so I'm curious what's different with yours.
  6. SDscorch

i've since rooted it (CM7)

and the problem came back

its not as bad as before but i've had a couple unexplained restarts - at this point i can still update apps and install new apps - but like i said i'm starting to see some instability

so i think its an app i've just recently installed because it went from rock solid to now a couple/few restarts a day

i'm slowly adding apps - so it could be soundhound, springpad, skEye, readitlater, or meetup or one of my banking apps or maybe even google music ---- those are the latest apps i've installed
  7. sanibel

sanibel Well-Known Member

With all due respect to rooting, if you have to root a phone to "fix" it then there's something bad going on. Phones should not rely on rooting to be "fixed."