Trouble Synching Contacts from BB to CaptivateSupport

Last Updated:

1. jomus001

jomus001 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks,

I purchased my Captivate about 3 days ago, and for the most part I love it. Context:

I was given a brand new SIM card for it
    I switched from a Blackberry Bold.
    The AT&T rep. tried using the machine that connects both phones and synchs contacts from one to the other, but it did not work.

My question is: How do you synch contacts from a Blackberry to the Captivate?

Before you answer, let me say that I do have a gmail account and I know the Contacts app can synch with the account, but I do not store my friend's phone numbers on there - and I do not want to individually input each one. Also, I own a Mac and when I had my blackberry I did not back up my contacts on my Mac, and did not have Outlook to back them up onto even if I had tried backing them up - so I cannot simply export my contacts to .csv and load them up to gmail.

I'm confused! There is more I can say (for instance, it seems as if my contacts have been put onto my Captivate, but they're not in the Contacts App that came preloaded with the Captivate...they are, instead, in the folders section under Contacts...how the heck did they get there?!) but I will stop here and see if anyone can guide me through this very frustrating process. :0/

Thanks for bearing with me!

Joe

Advertisement
  2. Ruben Cisneros

Ruben Cisneros Member

3. jomus001

jomus001 New Member This Topic's Starter

Just tried using Google Sync. Unfortunately, my BlackBerry can no longer receive messages, emails, etc. It is completely disconnected from the internet, regardless of the SIM card I use. It seems as though I NEED to download the app to my BlackBerry in order for it to work, and since I can't connect, I can't download. Blaaahh. :(

But thank you for the response!

4. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

The quickest way to do this is to connect your BB to your computer. Than sync your BB with Outlook (2003, 2007, 2010). Once you have your contacts in outlook, open Outlook. With Outlook open, select and highlight ALL of the contacts you want to put on your Captivate. Than go to the FILE menu tab and choose to EXPORT your contacts. Work through the prompts you are presented with (about 1/2 way through the export setup, you will be presented with the folder layout in Outlook. Make sure the CONTACTS folder is selected as this option). The file format you want to use in the exporting is the "CSV" format. At the end of the exporting, choose a name for the file and place it on your "Desktop". Minimize Outlook and check your Desktop to ensure your new file is there. Once you verify it is there, start up your internet connection and proceed to www.gmail.com. If you have a gmail account fine, if not create one. Once you are in your gmail email area, select CONTACTS from the left side. Hopefully this is blank, if not, delete what is there, if not needed, if needed leave it alone. Now you are going to choose the Contact IMPORT option. Follow the prompts and the file you are going to use is the file on your Desktop. Once it is selected, continue through the prompts and than finish. If you did everything correctly, all of your contacts are now in GMAIL. Now go to your Captivate and setup your new Gmail account. Once it is setup, the contacts will start to sync and there they are..

After you complete the above and get everything over to your Captivate, you'll soon detect yet another issue, this is an Android issue, not a Captivate issue. Follow the link to this thread:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/147380-contacts-where-they.html

Good Luck!

Gunny

rockfrawg likes this.
  5. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

He indicated he had a Mac and doesn't have access to Outlook.

Joe, have you tried putting your old SIM into your new phone? I presume you got to keep the SIM, yes? If your contacts are indeed still on the SIM, you should be able to tell the Captivate to copy them from the SIM to the phone. Then, when you put your 'new' SIM in, you should still have all your contacts.

6. darkamikaze

darkamikaze Member

Have you tried turning on wifi on your blackberry and then try to send your contacts using google sync?

If not.. only way I know to transfer contacts from blackberry to sim to captivate is
    insert new SIM in blackberry--> transfer 1 by 1 (painful I know) --> remove SIM --> insert in captivate --> transfer SIM contacts to phone X_x

Maybe you can elaborate more on the contacts being in a folder.. maybe you can "import" them in? which is an option under the contacts settings

:/ all ideas I can currently think of..

7. rockfrawg

rockfrawg Member

I just got my phone Monday, its my first Android device...i wanted to use my first post here to say "thank you Gunny"...this was SUPER helpful and worked perfectly!

8. rockfrawg

rockfrawg Member

FYI...Gunny's fix also works for the Calendar. Instead of saving your contacts as a .csv just pick the calendar, upload that to Google Calendar and it will automatically synch up with your phone. I pretty much have in the past only used the calendar for birthday reminders, so what I found was that upon import the recurrence settings are not transferring this way, so you'll have to update that for each instance but still much more convenient than creating all new reminders.