• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble updating to 2.3.5

WinC74

Lurker
Jan 25, 2012
Hi there, my friend has a Desire HD but hasn't updated since 2.3.3. So today, I managed to get his phone and said I'd update it to 2.3.5. But so far, I've been having trouble trying to even update it.

It keeps saying that the phone is on the latest update. The thing is, this update has been released quite some time ago (about 3 weeks ago). Is there like something I have to do?

It's mostly unbranded handsets that have had the update at the moment, although Telus branded handsets in Canada have had it too by all accounts..

Is the handset unbranded? What's your software version? Settings -> About Phone -> Software Info. If it's 2.50.405.2 (or has a 405 in it) it means you're unbranded.

It's not unbranded. It has Vodafone branding. But as said, Vodafone has already released it 3 weeks ago.

The current software version is 2.50.178.4. A lot of users have already got the update. Strangely, this phone is having trouble finding it.

Upvote 0
I know they staggered the update over here, so it took a while for it to filter through to a lot of handsets?

Do you know if the phone is rooted or modified in anyway at all?

The phone is not rooted or anything. I have suggested that he disabled any internet connection and background sync. and only enable when needed.

I have enabled both to update but it just doesn't seem to find anything.

Does the *#*#CHECKIN#*# thing help in anyway? I've tried it a few times.

I've even tried rebooting the phone and doesn't seem to find anything.

Upvote 0
The Check in thing is the same as hitting the check for updates button as far as I'm aware.

A factory reset has been known to help in these circumstances, but I'm not sure if your friend would be willing to do that (it doesn't always work either).

It might be worth giving Vodafone a call and finding out if they've pulled it for any reason?

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by purchased "sealed"?

I'm not sure either how getting the update would work for you, as the phone is T-Mobile (UK) branded, I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to get the update OTA, as the phone would be considered a T-Mobile UK phone by the network, so I don't think that you'd get an update pushed out to you OTA.

Upvote 0
The Check in thing is the same as hitting the check for updates button as far as I'm aware.

A factory reset has been known to help in these circumstances, but I'm not sure if your friend would be willing to do that (it doesn't always work either).

It might be worth giving Vodafone a call and finding out if they've pulled it for any reason?

Yeah, I don't really think he will. Probably might be worth contacting Vodafone. Although, it's pretty late now...

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by purchased "sealed"?

sorry :) i meant new in box.

I'm not sure either how getting the update would work for you, as the phone is T-Mobile (UK) branded, I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to get the update OTA, as the phone would be considered a T-Mobile UK phone by the network, so I don't think that you'd get an update pushed out to you OTA.

i have updated it once before to get it to 2.3.3, though as most devices have now been updated to 2.3.5 i was wondering what my options were. i have checked with my operator, though havent received a reply yet, though i believe as its a very small country operator updates arent very common

Upvote 0
sorry :) i meant new in box.

Oh - right... should have realised... sorry!

i have updated it once before to get it to 2.3.3, though as most devices have now been updated to 2.3.5 i was wondering what my options were. i have checked with my operator, though havent received a reply yet, though i believe as its a very small country operator updates arent very common

It has obviously been unlocked (probably with an unlock code), which would explain why there are splash screens from another network and how come you've been able to update it already.

Sorry, but you may have to wait to hear from your network as to when you should be getting the update. Has anyone else you know already had it?

Reactions: vorropohaiah
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones