• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Troubleshooting a Galaxy S2

Defile

Lurker
Jan 25, 2013
Hello community!
A friend of mine who works in the security industry here has recently given me a phone he's found during one of his rounds - a Galaxy S2! Since I never have owned a smartphone, I was very excited to recieve such a gift and tinker around with it :pcguru:

However, upon further inspection of the phone the outer glass display is severely cracked (I peeled off a small amount of shards) and I would presume the digitizer is broken since there is no display (although everything else seems to be in running order!)

Naturally I wanted to remedy the situation, so I found this great article on the XDA forums on how to replace the screen, complete with photos!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1253969

I suppose my question in the end is has any other user here attempted to try such, and if they're willing to share their experiences and offer any tips on what to look out for, and what to expect. Trying to repair locally seems to exceed $150+, so I may purchase a replacement OEM part(s) off of eBay and see what I can do from there.

Hey there,

Glad to have ya here :)

I did this with my Evo 3D recently. The best advice I can give you here is read the instructions very very carefully before doing it, as well as doing the same thing while in the process to make sure you don't skip a step.

It's a lengthy process, seems daunting, but rather easy once you get started.

Best of luck if you decide to repair yourself! :)

DS

Upvote 0
One caveat-- there is a known issue with S2 display assemblies (at least for the Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710) where one of the shields isn't adequate. Sprint has a new ('improved') touchscreen assembly they are using to fix phones with that hopefully will prevent RF interference from causing spurious menu popups from occurring when the phone is pushing out higher power through the 3G antenna (random menu activation bug).

My point is-- you might not get the 'good' touchscreen if you are purchasing from anyone other than Samsung.

Also, you might want to investigate whether you will actually be able to use the phone before investing any money into repairing it-- wouldn't want to fix it only to be accused of stealing it, later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones