1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

True "backup" applications? Screens, settings + apps?

1. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

My DInc died and its refurb replacement arrived Friday. (Very happy with the quality of the refurb BTW.) I synced my Google contacts and restored apps via ASTRO [one at a time, ugh!], but still had a boatload of configuration settings to remember to change, screens to recreate, etc. Took me a couple of hours easily to get the phone back to 100%.

Is there a SINGLE application that will perform a TRUE backup, like Acronis on a PC, in case the happens again?

I'd love the ability to have a backup of all phone settings, screens, apps etc. on the SD card. Maybe this exists already? I'll root if I have to...

TIA,

-kj-

Advertisement
    :
  2. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

If you're willing to root I believe Titanium Backup does a full back up.
  3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

rooting is the only way to perform a full system backup.
    jes0212 likes this.
  4. frankbonatelli

frankbonatelli Well-Known Member

A full nand back up is best as it will restore to exactly how the phone was at backup point. Again as mentioned above ROOT is needed
  5. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Mybackup Pro on a non-rooted device.
  6. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

Superb, thanks everyone. My goal is to have a backup off the phone in case it's lost or stolen or borked ... which I can then simply copy to an SD card & load onto the replacement phone. I appreciate your help! -kj-
  7. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

Titanium Backup Pro saved me a lot of heartache a few times now. I'm glad I rooted my phone.
  8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Not a full/easy backup Even the Mybackup people admit that they can back up more and easier with root.

From the manual:

"If a user has a phone rooted, MyBackup Pro can access much more information. Including third party applications data\settings, protected applications, Android Market links, and system application data. As well as have the ability to backup and restore applications in batch mode with a single click."

"MyBackup Pro can only access non copy-protected applications install files (most applications are not copy protected and can be backed up) for non-root users (most users). When a developer of an application publishes an application on the Android Market, they can chose to publish it
  9. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

You want to be able to make a nandroid backup to make an "image" of your phone's system as would Acronis for your PC. Titanium will save apps and their data as well as system data. MyBackup, I've heard, will not back up app data (not sure if that's correct) and I don't know if it backs up system data. Titanium is clearly the app of choice in this respect. These are very good apps but will not do as you specified.

The best way to go is ROM Manager, which needs root access. With it you can at any time you wish make a complete backup of your system i.e. all apps and their data, system data, really the entire phone (but does not back up the kernel). You can save these backups to your PC for future use if you wish.

ROM Manager - Android app on AppBrain

Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain
  10. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Active Member

Will Astro or ROM Manager save app data such as my weather info, Angry Birds <3, and perhaps my passwords on my browser?