• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

True Evo v Incredible v Nexus One Comparison

SprintFun

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
Columbus, OH
I know there's been a few threads named like this, but I didn't want this to get buried in them.

phonecompare.jpg

Let me know if you want another category added to the specs, or of any errors. I'll admit I'm not all knowing about any of the three so I may have overlooked some things. Hope this helps for everybody asking to compare the phones against each other.

Also, sorry for the crappyish quality.

It's already wrong. I can tell you for a fact the N1 does not have a wireless N adapter built in. The incredible screen will also be an AMOLED. Just like the EVO's screen will be like the HD2. What made me return the N1 was the you drop it you buy it warranty. That and I'd have to sign a 2 year contract with AT&T with no discount for service with them.

Upvote 0
The "Official" spec sheet for the Incredible floating around specifically says its an OLED screen, which is why I said it that way. And you're correct on the lack of "n" wifi support, error on my part.
What "official" spec sheet are you quoting, SprintFun? Verizon has yet to announce anything about that phone and Jackson, who known as a trusted insider around here said the leaked specs from a few days ago were fake.

Upvote 0
It would make little sense for HTC to switch the Incredible screen to something else when they are already using the same screen for the Desire and N1. Same with the HD2 and EVO. The first batches of EVOs and Incredibles are sitting in a warehouse somewhere right now. A CDMA N1 doesn't make much sense because you can just pop a SIM into your phone when you travel. If you're getting a CDMA phone you're going to stay with the carrier it came from or pay an ETF and go somewhere else with a different phone in your future.

Upvote 0
What "official" spec sheet are you quoting, SprintFun? Verizon has yet to announce anything about that phone and Jackson, who known as a trusted insider around here said the leaked specs from a few days ago were fake.

HTC Incredible specs Boy Genius Report

And no offense to Jackson, but how would he know Sprint AND Verizon insider information? I trust the "verizon insiders" more than Jackson on this. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
It would make little sense for HTC to switch the Incredible screen to something else when they are already using the same screen for the Desire and N1. Same with the HD2 and EVO. The first batches of EVOs and Incredibles are sitting in a warehouse somewhere right now. A CDMA N1 doesn't make much sense because you can just pop a SIM into your phone when you travel. If you're getting a CDMA phone you're going to stay with the carrier it came from or pay an ETF and go somewhere else with a different phone in your future.

Manufacturers change their providers all the time. In fact, the Evo will feature Amtel power touch capacity - a switch that HTC is making for the first time with the Evo. Who's to say that HTC doesn't want a different screen on this and later devices? As far as the N1, it is currently on the N1 order site that Verizon is coming soon and Sprint has announced it will carry the N1 - its only a matter of time.

Upvote 0
No he has a guy "Dan" who works for Sprint I believe. He himself is in college (I think).

the device i saw was LCD. I am a Sprint dev tho and on the dev sight it is still listed as AMOLED even after i inquired about it. When i asked i got no response. It is also the only fact of the phone besides Ram/ Rom that is not on the official sprint site. Verrry interesting. I do not think it would be just AMOLED, if anythhing super AMOLED, they definetly want you to see this phone outside haha. But LCD seems like the deal to me but the other option is also in the liklihood

Well they just closed my Supersonic thread so it looks like i will be spending most of my time here now =] I have a friend of mine who is a former employee at sprint and is getting me the low down. He said the employees will be called after closing into a room for a conference call. Keep you posted Jackson

I guess maybe we're both right?

Upvote 0
Did some checking and here is some info on the screens:

----------------------------------------------

AM OLED, but what is it and what does it mean for you?

OLED, also known as LEP (light emitting polymer), is a screen made up of small dots of organic polymers that, when charged with electricity, emit light. The advantage of OLED displays are that they are generally brighter, have a better colour gamut (numbers of colours that can be accurately displayed at same time), have better contrast ratio, have a better response time, have better viewing angles and use less power. In contrast to traditional TFT LCD displays they do not require a back light.

AM OLED is a technology that combines the active matrix back plane, from a traditional TFT screen, with an OLED display. AM OLED displays, because of their active matrix nature, are quicker to switch pixels and thus give better performance for fast moving, on-screen changes such as animation and video.

What this means is:
  • Reduced power consumption. In normal uses cases AM OLED requires 30-40% less power than a LCD screen. The power used is related to what is shown on the screen - the darker the screen the less power is used, conversely a predominantly white screen will use more power.
  • A better contrast ratio (ratio of the luminance of the brightest color, white, to that of the darkest color, black). Roughly 1:1300 compared to 1:500. Black is truly black on an AM OLED screen as there is no back-light and therefore no 'light-leakage'.
  • A better viewing angle - around 180

Upvote 0
While they change screens they do it across all lines usually as a cost savings. I would seriously doubt HTC would put a screen inferior to the N1 in the incredible. Because there are no discounts on the N1 and sense you can not put a CDMA phone on an account like a GSM phone I don't see the point in CDMA N1s. It's not like you can get an N1 then switch between Sprint, Verizon or US Cellular. The only locked GSM provider I've seen is Tracfone because they don't have a network, they only use other people's networks.

Upvote 0
I'm still wondering why the EVO doesn't have 802.11n when the other two do....

Let me clear the air, a little. The specs that has been leaked for the HTC Incredible are the correct specs. It's just that certain documents were faked. EVO 4G specs are almost complete, with gems that are only capable with 4G. You can't make a real comparison with the two yet. Sprint purposely left off specs, because it wasn't close to final production, and some are being added and removed.

Upvote 0
No matter what, there's really no sense in arguing over the Incredible. They've already done enough of that in their thread. Obviously a few here are interested, but only a few as this is the EVO 4G forum.

Verizon has been very quite about the Incredible and until they produce the "official" specs will I believe it. All this arguing just leads to fighting and hard feelings and that's what caused the Incredible forum to be closed more than once. There's no reason why we should fall into the same pit, so why don't we just drop it.

Did some checking and here is some info on the screens:

----------------------------------------------

AM OLED, but what is it and what does it mean for you?

OLED, also known as LEP (light emitting polymer), is a screen made up of small dots of organic polymers that, when charged with electricity, emit light. The advantage of OLED displays are that they are generally brighter, have a better colour gamut (numbers of colours that can be accurately displayed at same time), have better contrast ratio, have a better response time, have better viewing angles and use less power. In contrast to traditional TFT LCD displays they do not require a back light.

AM OLED is a technology that combines the active matrix back plane, from a traditional TFT screen, with an OLED display. AM OLED displays, because of their active matrix nature, are quicker to switch pixels and thus give better performance for fast moving, on-screen changes such as animation and video.

What this means is:
  • Reduced power consumption. In normal uses cases AM OLED requires 30-40% less power than a LCD screen. The power used is related to what is shown on the screen - the darker the screen the less power is used, conversely a predominantly white screen will use more power.
  • A better contrast ratio (ratio of the luminance of the brightest color, white, to that of the darkest color, black). Roughly 1:1300 compared to 1:500. Black is truly black on an AM OLED screen as there is no back-light and therefore no 'light-leakage'.
  • A better viewing angle - around 180

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones