1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

True or false? Don't charge your phone at night.Support

1. mikehart82

mikehart82 Member

So I go into T-Mobile a couple weeks ago to make the jump from 5 years with an iPhone to a GS4 and the kid who helped me out told me never to charge my phone at night whilst I am sleeping. Something about how the battery is just gas and blah blah blah. He basically said I can over charge the phone and decrease battery life.

Being that the kid came off as a bit of a douche, I've been doing my own research and everything I find says that the kid is flat out wrong. I like charging my phone while as sleep as it's the perfect time.

Can someone please put this to bed for me?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Flat out wrong. :)

The phone/battery stops accepting charge when it's full so the risk of over charging is utterly non existent. Unless it's faulty, obviously.
    LilBit likes this.
  3. TechDad378

TechDad378 Well-Known Member

Overcharging happens when the phone is constantly charged when it is not fully discharged. Generally leaving the phone connected to 3g and/or wifi is what causing the majority of battery drains.
    Tip: to rapidly charge your phone shut it off and plug it in to the charger.
    Tip: to reduce battery drain at night put the phone in airplane mode.
  4. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Don't beat about the bush El Presidente... tell mikehart82 straight! ;)

I wish I had a
  5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

A battery app which monitors the charging and discharging current (like Battery Monitor Widget) would show in its History chart that the charging current stops after reaching 100% :)

Harry
    Bobby R likes this.
  6. Even after phone is fully charged, meter keeps running (believe me, I read it on ReadersDigest). So, if you are concerned about Earth Resources, unplug it.
  7. tytlyf

tytlyf Well-Known Member

I don't believe this is the phones fault, but the charger. The charger uses power even when the phone is not connected.
  8. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

This is one of the several reasons that I have decided to just stay away from the stores and order new phones online. The other reasons being the constant upsells (which are sometimes quite condescending), and that they seem to mess up something with my service about half of the time when setting up the phone.
  9. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

I agree with what everyone said here.

The batteries used in modern Smartphone have a circuit that stops the charge when the batter is full.
    LilBit likes this.
  10. LilBit

LilBit Well-Known Member Contributor

The kid is so wrong he should be fired for saying something like that.
    TheyCallMeBT likes this.
  11. nsuchy2013

nsuchy2013 Well-Known Member

I agree. I just fixed a problem with deleting the os on my phone then being unable to restore it. I am so tired of working so decided to hang out in the lounge :)
  12. mrpnut

mrpnut THE WORLD IS YOURS Guide

Yeah that young buck dont know what he's talking about....I charge my phone every night while sleeping and have no problems.:D