• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Truly Unlimited, Here to stay?

7Priest7

I am considering getting a T-Mobile HSPA+42 and LTE phone.

I would really like to know that Truly Unlimited is here to stay.

Is there any inside intel on expected end of buffet?
Do you guys think truly unlimited is here to stay?

I think the Unlimited will eventually make it's way back into the plans for all carriers. It might take a while, but I think it will. Eventually, my guess is that they will differentiate their plans on speed just like landline does. However, I think that will require the networks to have more coverage and reliability. I'd guess within 5 years we'll see that move.

One big reason I think you'll see that is that LTE is going to become a major seller for rural home internet connects. For rural areas, providers can't justify the cost of building out the hardlines. There are capped home internet connections right now, but if those caps are too low it is very obtrusive to users.

Upvote 0
I've had unlimited for a long time. It's $30 extra a month but unlimited high speed is great. I think it's been about 4 or 5 year's that I've had T-Mobile unlimited data. Then they stopped it for a while but I was grandfathered in. The biggest down side to having unlimited data is you can't tether.

But I have Road Runner extreme in my home. I get about 20-25 MBPS Down and 2.5 MBPS Upload.

It's not as fast as T-Mobile's LTE but here in Hawaii the LTE is only in a small area. It's so spotty you can't hold a connection for more then a few seconds before you're back on HSPA. And now HSPA, is so slow you're lucky to get 1 MBPS Down and maybe a few KBPS Upload. Back a few months ago HSPA was the best. You would get no less then 7-8 MBPS Down and 1-2 MBPS Upload and that was the slowest. On average it would be more like 21 MBPS Down and 3 MBPS Upload.

So I'm just waiting for them to fix LTE so it's usable. They either really messed up here in Hawaii or T-Mobile LTE is crap everywhere.

Upvote 0
I've had unlimited for a long time. It's $30 extra a month but unlimited high speed is great. I think it's been about 4 or 5 year's that I've had T-Mobile unlimited data. Then they stopped it for a while but I was grandfathered in. The biggest down side to having unlimited data is you can't tether.

But I have Road Runner extreme in my home. I get about 20-25 MBPS Down and 2.5 MBPS Upload.

It's not as fast as T-Mobile's LTE but here in Hawaii the LTE is only in a small area. It's so spotty you can't hold a connection for more then a few seconds before you're back on HSPA. And now HSPA, is so slow you're lucky to get 1 MBPS Down and maybe a few KBPS Upload. Back a few months ago HSPA was the best. You would get no less then 7-8 MBPS Down and 1-2 MBPS Upload and that was the slowest. On average it would be more like 21 MBPS Down and 3 MBPS Upload.

So I'm just waiting for them to fix LTE so it's usable. They either really messed up here in Hawaii or T-Mobile LTE is crap everywhere.

My best guess is that they are currently upgrading the towers for LTE, which is why you are getting poor HSPA+ speeds. I imagine that, once they are finished, your HSPA+ speeds will return to normal and you will have solid LTE.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones