• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

trying out windows phone for a while.

do you like androids look?

• Total voters

thekingsteven

Jan 7, 2015
alabama
so I decided to get prepay phone because my phone plan was killing me... I seen the Lumia 640 on sale for 29.99 at best buy and decided to buy it... I had never used windows phone before so I had no idea what to expect. After a few hours with the phone I discovered that windows 8.1 phone is really nice looking. I mean it looks ,to me, far more clean and appealing then android. The apps I've use so far are all using the same style and the same navigational controls. You really feel emerged in what your doing because the navigation. Bar can be hid as well as the action center. I never had that with android at all.

Now after saying all that I do still love android, but after seeing how clean and good looking a mobile os can look I can't help but wonder why google doesn't try and make android look better. I know lollipop was a big design over haul but its still not as clean as I'd like. The notification bar being one of my biggest annoyances along with the home screens.

Reactions: svim and psionandy
so I decided to get prepay phone because my phone plan was killing me... I seen the Lumia 640 on sale for 29.99 at best buy and decided to buy it... I had never used windows phone before so I had no idea what to expect. After a few hours with the phone I discovered that windows 8.1 phone is really nice looking. I mean it looks ,to me, far more clean and appealing then android. The apps I've use so far are all using the same style and the same navigational controls. You really feel emerged in what your doing because the navigation. Bar can be hid as well as the action center. I never had that with android at all.

Now after saying all that I do still love android, but after seeing how clean and good looking a mobile os can look I can't help but wonder why google doesn't try and make android look better. I know lollipop was a big design over haul but its still not as clean as I'd like. The notification bar being one of my biggest annoyances along with the home screens.
tbh i have been wanting to try windows phone for a while, just to see how it is - have you been experiencing any crashes/freezes? has it been pretty stable? tbh i hear windows phones are pretty good these days!

have you found a good adblocker for it yet? and i like the idea of going back to a nokia phone :D and tbh im a huge fan of the windows OS in general when it comes to my PC.

but you got the phone for 30 bucks unlocked with no contract??? thats insane!!

Upvote 0
My daughter has a Lumia windows phone....
her major complaint was that there is a virtual vacuum of available apps to help us out.

I bought her an HTC One M9 simply because of the front facing, dual speakers, and that it was a high end product with a fast processor.

I had never seen one, and personally, I hate the thing..... she has acclimated to it, and says it works for her...

lately, I have noticed that she is walking around with Irish Ballads singing to her all the time.... she is a choir singer, guess she loves the ballads...... "Braggadocio" a few years back, she was in a Women's choir from Oklahoma City that went to London and put on a performance for the Queen of England.....

Upvote 0
tbh i have been wanting to try windows phone for a while, just to see how it is - have you been experiencing any crashes/freezes? has it been pretty stable? tbh i hear windows phones are pretty good these days!

have you found a good adblocker for it yet? and i like the idea of going back to a nokia phone :D and tbh im a huge fan of the windows OS in general when it comes to my PC.

but you got the phone for 30 bucks unlocked with no contract??? thats insane!!
That is insane for a 640, since it is still considered mid-high end for Windows phone hardware. Only recently did we get a new high end with the 950/XL, and HP's upcoming Elite x3 that seems to be aiming for the stars.

From what I have seen measured online, Windows 8.1 on phones was a rock of stability, and the first release of 10 on the 950's is a glitch mob at present. My fiancee now has an unlocked 550 which came with 10, and that seems fine. So it might just be an issue(s) specific to the 950 series.

Upvote 0
I've had no issues at all with the phone at all. Most apps install right to the SD card and so the 8gb of space hasn't been an issue. So far after almost a week it hasn't crashed or anything. Windows seams more stable then android 6.
And yes WalMart has the Lumia 640 from att for 30$ att lets u unlock it just don't Turn it on with the sim card in it....

Upvote 0
The Lumia 640 is equivalent of about $150 USD in China. It's not locked or anything, but it's only really suitable for one carrier anyway, it doesn't have TD-SCDMA or CDMA/EVDO. But then all Microsoft branded phones, Surface tablets and laptops are horribly overpriced here, more expensive than Apple! Found that out when I was looking for a new laptop a few months ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones