• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to cancel a call!

Chuck1906

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009
I work 3rd shift and I was playing around with my phone (still learning it) and I accidently called a friend at 3 in the morning! I tried everything to get the phone not to ring but my screen went to black giving me no access to the dialpad and other buttons. I could not wake the phone up until after it had started ringing! I tried shaking the phone, pressed the power/lock button and the phone still rang and the screen was still black then finally on the 2nd or 3rd ring my screen came back and I was able to tap END!!!! I was like what the heck was that all about!

I sure wish we'd get to the bottom of this issue. This has NEVER happed to me. I can't even duplicate it no matter how many times I tried. :thinking:

I wonder if possibly some dirt or ear wax or something is getting on the screen just above the sensor and not allowing it to function properly?

Hhmmn... ;)

OK ... I just performed a little experiment. I called my home phone, and while connected, I moved the DROID from me ear and I could see the screen, NO PROBLEM. Then, I took a dab of peanut butter and touched the screen over the sensor. The screen went BLACK. And stayed BLACK. And no amount of nothing could get it out of that mode. Didn't matter what button a pressed, or if I tapped the screen. Then I licked the PB OFF of the screen and, of course, it returned to normal. :cool:

Folks. Either these sensors are intermittently failing. Or these screens are getting something on them over that sensor area. I'm leaning toward the latter guess.

Upvote 0
I sure wish we'd get to the bottom of this issue. This has NEVER happed to me. I can't even duplicate it no matter how many times I tried. :thinking:

I wonder if possibly some dirt or ear wax or something is getting on the screen just above the sensor and not allowing it to function properly?

Hhmmn... ;)

OK ... I just performed a little experiment. I called my home phone, and while connected, I moved the DROID from me ear and I could see the screen, NO PROBLEM. Then, I took a dab of peanut butter and touched the screen over the sensor. The screen went BLACK. And stayed BLACK. And no amount of nothing could get it out of that mode. Didn't matter what button a pressed, or if I tapped the screen. Then I licked the PB OFF of the screen and, of course, it returned to normal. :cool:

Folks. Either these sensors are intermittently failing. Or these screens are getting something on them over that sensor area. I'm leaning toward the latter guess.

Dude!!!!! WTH? Peanut butter?...and you licked it off?

What else do you 'experiment' on your phone with?:D

But that is an interesting discovery!

Upvote 0
My wife is about to go to Droid number 3. The 1st one had the proximity sensor issue on just about every call, the 2nd does it randomly and it likes to randomly place calls too (it's an added feature.) No peanut butter or ear wax on either of them. I've had the same Droid for about a month now, never had this problem...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones