Trying to decide.....

Last Updated:

1. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Which way I should go. I'm running rooted 1.5 right now and am having a tough time deciding if I should go with a custom ROM or give up root for the Sprint Official 2.1. If I go custom I'm looking at either DamageControl 2.08.1 or Fresh 2.1.1. The thing is, I like 1.5 fine really, but I want 2.1 since it's "new" for my phone. The only thing I've used my root for is removing Sprint's bloat from the phone.

I like the look of fresh, but don't like the vanilla launch bar and I actually use Sprint's NFL widget and Teeter, which are both gone in Fresh. DC has the Sense launch bar that I like, and has the Sprint NFL. The official of course has all of this, but no way to remove the garbage I don't want.

I don't care about friendstream, or live wallpapers and all that other stuff, so I guess really what I'm looking for is someone to give me a decent comparison for Fresh and DC vs. the Official Sprint since I can't find a good one. Hopefully someone can help me out. I give thanks in advance. :)

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Stay rooted.

3. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

If you use Fresh you might be able to push the stock apps you want back on to the phone using the Kitchen, this worked for me with Fresh 2.0D, but I haven't tried it with 2.1.1. I think Flipz has a download for all the stock apps as well, and if they're apk's you should be able to put them on your SD Card and install from ES File Explorer. If you check out the Hero forum over at xda-developers you can probably find the rosie you want, my vote is to stay rooted and try out both ROMs, then pick the one that works for you, I don't really think that there should be much of a speed difference.

4. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

I would stay rooted. I am currently using Fresh 2.1.1 and love it. It opens up a BUNCH of free memory. If there are any Sprint stock .apks that you want there are access to them if need be. I still use the Sprint TV and Sprint Navigation. I had to add these after the fact since Fresh did not include them.

5. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I'm in the same boat. I am considering installing the 2.1 leak that Damage posted that is basicaly the 2.1, that retains root. I would assume one could then remove any Sprint apps you want.

From Damageless at xda:

damageless

Alright, so this has basically no optimizations or anything. Feel free to use this for whatever. I will have an update tonight for DamageControl based off of this new RUU that was leaked.

DOWNLOAD:
    http://dl.damagedroms.com/SprintUpdate2.zip

Because I just flashed this myself, it is largely untested, so I take no responsibility for what this breaks/doesn't have/whatever. This is for those who can't wait but don't want to flash RUU because it will break root and you might not be able to get it back.

6. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK guys, a few questions then from your replies. 1. If I run fresh, do I just use HTC Sync to push the .apk's of the sprint programs I want back, like I did for swype? 2. Is the sprintupdate2.zip the leaked "official" only with root? 2.1. Does it look just like the Official, only with root access to remove the garbage I don't want? 3. If I go with Fresh, can I change the launch bar back to the Sense one instead of the vanilla one? 4. Can I remove the friendstream and LW's and such from DC or Fresh if I choose? I look forward to your answers and Thanks!

7. T Mac

T Mac Well-Known Member

I had Fresh and lastly DC 2.08.1 which I found very nice. But since I'm getting ready to either give the Hero to my wife or put it on Ebay, I wiped the root and installed the Sprint 2.1 ROM. It is nice and smooth also and every bit as fast as the rooted version with no hickups so far. I'm happy. You do get the bloatware back, but who cares. It runs fine with it. I also recommend MyBackup Pro since Titanium Pro won't work unrooted.