Trying to downgrade did I brick

Last Updated:

1. rossrainey

rossrainey Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I was trying to downgrade my incredible so that I could apply the OTA and re-root. I used the directions from DiegoMejia here.http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/99828-video-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html
    After being back my phone would not upgrade. I tried to apply update.zip and kept getting the error 7. So I thought I would try one more thing, well I tried the PB31IMG.zip from iowabowtech but did not root before doing so. Now I cannot get past the hboot screen. Have I bricked the phone for good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

You just need to get rooted then you can fix it. Do the unrevoked 3.21 thing and go from there.

3. rossrainey

Not anymore. I should have rooted before I applied the second P31IMG.zip but didn't and now I cant get past the hboot screen. No clockwork recovery. I have nandroid backups but doubt they will do any good since I do not have clockwork recovery.

4. dscribe

5. rossrainey

unrevoked won't recognize the device because I cannot boot it past the hboot screen. It says I need to put the device into USB debugging mode which I don't think is an option

6. dscribe

Oh, crap. I leave my phone in debugging mode all the time. I still bet there is a way to get your phone back up but in this situation I'll admit that I'm not the guy you need to be talking to. Be patient, surely someone will have an answer for you by, say, noon tomorrow.

7. dscribe

Just out of curiosity, did you try doing a factory reset from HBOOT?

8. rossrainey

Yeah, and i get the red exclamation screen when it tries to run it. I think I could get it to work I just need to have a P31IMG.zip file that is signed by verizon which I think is probably hard to come by. I knew I should have done s-off before I did this. If nothing else I can just take it to verizon and say that something happened when I applied the OTA and play stupid I guess.

9. dscribe

Hey, what were you trying to install with PB31IMG.zip? Was it the rom.zip from the RUU? I see where some people have had to do it more than once for it to take. You should still be able to put files on your sdcard and flash them by that name.

10. dscribe

There is a signed froyo available.

11. dscribe

12. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

so he jsut has to download that zip and rename it PB1IMG.zip right?

13. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

These threads kill me. You guys should really do some more research before jumping ship on root. just cause it a one click root doesnt mean you cant still fubar your phone..

14. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Is your card formatted to FAT32? All the IMG files will likely fail if not. Or are you saying the update worked and left you in a boot loop? Not sure I'm understanding where you're at.

15. dscribe

Please don't be condescending. I don't claim to be an expert. I'm just trying to help. I have seen people in what I would have thought was a lost cause get their phone going again. He messed up. Everyone acts carelessly sometime. Should he have read more and been more careful? Sure. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Do you have anything to offer other than what is essentially a "hey dude, you messed up!"?

16. dscribe

Glad you are pointing out the FAT32 thing. What you are saying is where I understand him to be. He is unrooted in an HBOOT bootloop.

17. dscribe

18. iowabowtech

Also, when you see the exclamation screen, press volume UP + power at that time. Can you access the stock recovery options at that point? What options does it show? And what version of bootloader is it showing in hboot?

19. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I apologize. I didn't mean to be rude or condescending. My intentions came out differently than I wish I had expressed. I personally read and downloaded everything for a month before rooting with my Eris. Now we have this one click root and everyone jumps ship. Really the only message I was trying to present, which I now see wasn't what I wanted was this: I don't want to see anyone end up with a $500 paper weight. That's all. So once again, I'm sorry.

dscribe and iowabowtech like this.
  20. dscribe

No problem, man. And thanks for the outstanding reply! I'm appreciating you guys more and more day by day.

To self: ok, idiot, don't get all mushy and crap.. move along! :)

21. rossrainey

So I tried to update and it failed and now I'm in hboot loop. I downloaded another signed PB31IMG.zip but now I can't get hboot to recognize the file. I originally rooted before the one click method using the method diego did originally at the beginning of the summer and it had worked fine, but every time I would flash back to my nandroid it would pester me about the OTA update. I wasn't sure I should do it so I thought I would go back to stock then update, then reroot. Once I was at stock it would not update OTA so I tried to update.zip from recovery but it would fail. I then decided to try and run a newer PB31IMG.zip for 2.2 and that's when I went into the hboot loop. I was thinking that maybe the original root method may work but not sure. At this point I'm not too sure where I should go. Sorry if sounds like I'm rambling. If there's anymore info I can give I will thankful for any help.

Edit.

I am s-on so I think this may be my downfall unless I can turn s-off from hboot

22. iowabowtech

Let us know what version of hboot you're seeing. Should say on the hboot screen you've become all too familiar with.

23. rossrainey

I tried one more time using a different PB31IMG.zip file that was signed and this time I think it is going to work I got past the hboot and have made it past the htc screen, currently at the droid load screen

24. iowabowtech

Crosses fingers.

25. rossrainey

It worked, Android 2.2 baseband 2.15.00.07.28 thanks for all the help