• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to find some iOS equivilant apps

Krandor

Lurker
Jul 21, 2012
I have been an iOS user for a while (and still plan to be) on my personal phone, but my work phone was a blackberry and I just got it upgraded to a SGS3. Seemed a good way to try out Android without completely switching.

I have been trying to get the S3 to do a lot of the things that were easy to do on my iPhone and a lot of those are app based. The problem is a lot of these are some of the major things I use on my iPhone. So any assistance on how I can do similar stuff would be appreciated.

1. Podcasts. I listen to lots of podcasts. I used to keep them in iTunes but ultimiately wound up moving to an app called Downcast. The features most important to me are smart playlists and hiding empty playlists. A lot of my podcasts are TV show related so I like to keep say all survivor podcasts in one playlist and all Doctor Who podcasts in another. Also, since a lot of times during the offseason there may not be any new podcasts in some topics, I like the playlists with no new episodes to disappear off my main list (or at least be separated). Downcast lists all playlists with new episodes first and then those with no new episodes. I have looked but so far have been unable to find an android equivilant with smart playlists and hiding playlists with no new episodes. Doggcatcher came closest, but it doesn't hide the zero count playlists or even let you see how many episodes are in a playlist so it requires drilling into all playlists to see if anything is new. Too much hassle. Any suggestions?

2. Audiobook player with playcount support. I also like to listen to a lot of audiobooks. One thing I liked to do with iTunes is setup a smart playlist with the audiobook and then set it to playcoount=0 so once I listened to a track it would go away on next sync. I don't need it anymore once I listened to it and having it automaticaly go away is much nicer then manually dealing with it. I have setup iSync and iSyncr wifi (which BTW works SO Much better then iTunes wifi syncing) to send the data from iTunes to android. I was a little pissed I had to rename a bunch of my files to make it work, but I did. The problem is in the playback. For this to work, the player needs to send updated playcount information to iSyncr. The problem is that the players I found that send playcount information back don't support audiobook needed features like bookmarks and auto-resume. The players that do bookmarks and auto-resume don't send playcount data back. Anybody know of a player with bookmark support that works with iSyncr playcount data?

3. iTV shows - this is an app where you can tell it what TV shows you watch and it will give you a calendar of when new episodes are airing. It also (and this is my favorite feature) has an option where you can keep track of which episodes of shows you have watched and which ones you still need to watch. Anybody know of anything similar for android?

I'm not one of the legion that walk around with their earbuds in all day, oblivious to what's happening in the real world, so I'm far from the ideal source for answers to questions like this. But I've got the free 'AudioGalaxy' app installed which allows me to stream any audio and playlists from my 40GB iTunes collection on my desktop machine back home to my Samsung Galaxy Note.

I haven't got a solution for video like that because I never watch video when mobile/on the move. I prefer to watch the real world. But of course on the S3 you can do what you can never do on any iOS device: watch millions of Flash videos! :D:D:D

So I would be interested to hear from you, in say a couple weeks when you've had an extended opportunity to play with it, if you still prefer your iOS device over the S3, and why (or why not...).
Could you let us know, please?

Upvote 0
So I would be interested to hear from you, in say a couple weeks when you've had an extended opportunity to play with it, if you still prefer your iOS device over the S3, and why (or why not...).
Could you let us know, please?

Definitely will. So far, I like the android notification system, apps auto-updating (why Apple doesn't do that is beyond me), and the quick settings bar. I go to a bar often that had wifi but a lot of times it is horrible and it is faster to just be on cellular data so being able to quickly pull up that bar, turn wifi off and go is SO convenient. On the negative side (which kinda ties into this post), I find the media management on android so far to be sub-par and there being a new android version out there, but having to wait on the carrier to be able to upgrade (this is a work phone so hacking bootloader and custom roms are not an option).

I will post something more detailed in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones