• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trying to hard reset bricked Droid 4

I was on a trip when the most recent system update appeared on my phone. Since my battery was low and I didn't have the time for an update anyway, I tried to press update later. Apparently my fingers are fat, because it began updating anyway, causing my battery to eventually run down and effectively brick my phone.

My phone will not turn on unless it is plugged in. When it does, it stays on the splash screen, and does nothing else. I've looked at numerous guides, and all of them say the same thing: Press volume down/power for 10 secs to shut phone off (isn't it already shut off?), then press volume up/power until the black system screen comes up. I have tried powering the phone down while it is plugged in, and the screen will eventually shut off, but holding volume up+power only makes the splash screen turn back on. Trying to do any of this without the power cord in does absolutely nothing.

Is there anything I can do, or will I be forced to send my phone back for a replacement? I'd like to avoid using my insurance if at all possible, since my phone is still physically intact.

Edit: Problem solved!

Just got off the phone with Verizon a little while ago, and my phone is up and working again without having to do a hard reset or anything! All I had to do was press BOTH volume buttons while pressing power, which brought up a list of options, the first of which was "Normal Recovery". This made my phone start up as usual, allowed my battery to finally recharge, and after getting some battery life I restarted it and it finished the system upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones