Trying to like the Droid..... please help!

Last Updated:

1. rookiedroid49

rookiedroid49 Member This Topic's Starter

I've had a Droid for about three weeks and trying to like it, kind of missing my blackberry. Any help would be welcome:)

1) I have both yahoo and gmail email apps on the phone, I kept trying to enter one contact into the phone and the contact wouldn't show up, then I found her merged with another contact . Both contacts were entered in yahoo mail and gmail accounts. Also I can't get my daughter on my "contacts" list, she only appears in the "favorites" tab along with everyone else I've called recently who I don't remember designating them as favorites

2) I keep getting "phantom" email notifications- yesterday it was to the point that i stopped checking emails when I got notifications.

3) how to save an email on the phone? Or do you have to save emails in your yahoo or gmail account? With a blackberry it was easy to save emails.

4) I used to get twitter updates as text messages, do you have to install a twitter app on the Droid to get "tweets"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to like the Droid, my daughter thinks it is really cool, but I didn't buy the device with the idea of spending hours on the internet trying to find out how to do things :confused:

Advertisement
  2. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

Lafayette huh? I'm about 20 mins north of you.

1 - I generally use google on the computer to add contacts and then let it sync to the phone. I have had the issue where a contact was merged with another, I just deleted it from the phone and re entered the info. I've done it from the phone as well, its just faster for me to do it from my computer and let them sync up on their own. You can also create a .cvs file from Google with your contacts and use excel to enter all the info you would like, this is also a good way to keep a backup... just in case.
    2 - I get this with my comcast email. Not sure what setting I have screwed up but agree its as annoying as it gets.
    3 - Again, this is in GMail as I don't use Yahoo but open the email, press Menu and Change Lables, uncheck inbox and check the folder you want it to go to, done and done.
    4 - Yes, you have to install a twitter app, I hear there are some great free ones on the market but I don't use twitter so I don't know first hand. A quick search here should get you more than enough options to pick one you like the most.

Good luck and enjoy the phone, once you get the patterns on how to do this or that down you'll not miss that BB one bit.

3. rookiedroid49

Hey thanks for the help! 20 minutes North, huh? a small world.....

i tried saving emails with your suggestion- I think this only works for Gmail, too bad.

4. TXLady

TXLady Well-Known Member

I can definitely relate. I switched to the Droid from Blackberry in November. I had an 8900 on TMO (best phone ever!) and switched to Verizon -- had a Storm (which I hated) for three weeks before switching to the Droid. I love the Droid but not sure it's the phone for me. It is a nifty gadget.

While I love some things about the Droid (great screen, browsing experience), I miss the Blackberry. At this point, I'm waiting for the Tour 2 to come out and it's a 90% probability of me switching to it. Why? Well, what's really most important to me is the email and PIM capabilities and BB handles that the best. Browsing is nice to have but it's kind of an after thought for me -- not my #1 priority. Everything that I really need to do, the Blackberry does better.

5. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I've told people often that the BB does email better.

Having said that, I would highly suggest downloading K9 Mail. It will allow you to save emails and attachments and it much more flexible than the stock email app, IMO.

As far as your contacts issues goes, how are you managing your contacts? I would wipe all your contacts on the phone, log into your Gmail account, make sure everything is ok there, and re-sync. I have used Gmail for contacts and never had a lost or duplicate contact. I know others have, and I wonder if it's in trying to have your contacts stored in other places as well?

6. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

K9 mail is a great free app that does do mail very well. Forgot all about that, speakin of it.... why the hell don't I have it installed anymore?!?!?!?!? Well, off to the market to grab it again.

7. rookiedroid49

I hear you TXLady- The Droid is really neat at web browsing and you tube videos, but I've also found that with minimal internet use my battery life is very lame (even with wi-fi and gps turned off). It would be nice to look up a few things on the net and still have battery life to make a few phone calls :).

I have about 3 weeks to decide if I'm keeping the Droid, I'm on my second one, had to return the first one because it shut off randomly and had to pull the battery to get it running. My alternatives are a BB Storm 2 or Tour-- I guess both do videos as well as BB standard apps?

8. rookiedroid49

Hi! my contacts are a mix- some got moved from my blackberry when I bought the Droid, and others are from facebook. By the way, the contacts loaded from my blackberry disappeared when i downloaded the software update, but when i go in and type the contact names in, the rest of the info reloads-- nice and simple right? LOL

9. aztechmaster

aztechmaster Member

Rookie49, I know what you are struggling with! I still have an old 8703E that works fine... and I went from a 8330 Curve (rock solid never gave me a single issue) to a Droid. Yes it is very cool. Yes it does lots of nifty things. But NO it isn't as good at some things as a BB. Just stick with it and try to 'unberryize' yourself. Only 12 steps....:D

10. spazma7ik

spazma7ik Well-Known Member

You do NOT need a Twitter app to receive the tweets that you want on your phone, that doesn't even make sense. It just sends a text to your number with the tweet, it has nothing to do with a twitter client, I receive them all the time.

11. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

Phones are like cars, you buy what best fits your needs. I've seen many BB users come here with some of the same questions because just about anything non-Blackberry is a major paradigm shift. If email and contacts are the only thing you use your phone for and you are totally set in Blackberry, then a BB phone is for you. If you want to do that and don't mind it not being as perfect as BB's implementation *and* you want to do more, then the Droid is a great choice.

Same thing would apply to people coming from the iPhone that love it primarily for its iPod functions. You aren't going to find the same multimedia experience with the Droid as you get with the iPhone (at least not yet). If music is your thing and you are set in with an iPhone, then the iPhone is a better choice. If you want your phone to do more than the iPhone, then the Droid is a great choice.

The Droid does take time to customize to fit your needs. Not everyone wants to have to do that and I can understand that. Some don't have the time or ambition to rifle through the app store and eval 5 different apps to give you missed call notifications! Understandable. However, the hidden beauty of the Droid is the fact that you *can* make the choice of what apps pull your phone together into something spectacular. Check some of the threads here and you'll see some outstanding things that people have done and its nothing short of jaw dropping.

Getting back to the question which seems to revolve around contacts, FB pulled in most of my contacts along with ones from gmail and I've had great success. Like another noted, I also add contacts on my computer in gmail and let that sync down to the Droid. Haven't had any issues.

Yikes, enough of me rambling :eek:

12. TXLady

TXLady Well-Known Member

By the way, your 30 day clock doesn't start over if you exchange a device so you don't have 30 days from the time you got the replacement but 30 days from when you got the first one. After that, you won't be able to swap for a different device.

13. heatherj74

heatherj74 New Member

Found a video on Youtube of step by step email instructions for yahoo. i dont have link at this moment tho. search it there.

14. Jim Dawson

Jim Dawson Well-Known Member

How do you save an email in K9 mail?

Thanks