• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to Root, Cant Recovery boot to Custom TWRP

Ben798790

Lurker
Jul 5, 2015
Hi,

I have an Unlocked HTC One M8S, unbranded from Carphone Warehouse in UK.

Details below:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.0.U20410.1@50311
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.03.401.11
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: ##############
(bootloader) imei: ##############
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8ql_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8939
(bootloader) modelid: 0PKV10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: e2458936
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
(bootloader) mfg-name: 0001

I have used fastboot method to install the following recovery images:

openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8.img
recovery_1.54.401.10.img
recovery_1.54.401.5.img
recovery_2.22.401.4.img
recovery_2.22.401.5.img
recovery_3.28.401.6.img
recovery_3.28.401.7.img
recovery_3.28.401.9.img
recovery_4.16.401.10.img
twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img

None of these will reboot into Recovery from the bootloader HBOOT and then selecting RECOVERY from the boot loader menu. Some of them get a blank screen as if hung, some hang at the White HTC logo screen....

What image custom TWRP image should I use so I can boot this phone into recovery and then install the SuperSU application. Please help I have tried everything I can think of now...

TIA

Ben

Last edited:
Yeah, the M8 and M8S are two completely different devices. The M8S is somewhere between an M8 and an M9. The M8S uses a 64-bit kernel so the M8 recovery definitely wouldn't work. I had to build a brand new one using flags from the M8 and M9 trees and build a custom kernel from the HTC Dev source to remove the system write-protect restriction and add in full MTP compatibility and additional file system support.

Not that anyone cares . . . ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah, the M8 and M8S are two completely different devices. The M8S is somewhere between an M8 and an M9. The M8S uses a 64-bit kernel so the M8 recovery definitely wouldn't work. I had to build a brand new one using flags from the M8 and M9 trees and build a custom kernel from the HTC Dev source to remove the system write-protect restriction and add in full MTP compatibility and additional file system support.

Not that anyone cares . . . ;)
Wait... what?

Are you maintaining an official build and I missed it? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Wait... what?

Are you maintaining an official build and I missed it? :thinking:
Not an official build, no.

But I did build the one that's posted in that thread you linked :). Since I don't have the device, I wouldn't agree to maintain it, but I provided my device files in the thread there so someone else could (though I don't believe anyone has done so).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Not an official build, no.

But I did build the one that's posted in that thread you linked :). Since I don't have the device, I wouldn't agree to maintain it, but I provided my device files in the thread there so someone else could (though I don't believe anyone has done so).
OK, that's why I trusted it - and why it just worked. :)

Reactions: CapThrowback
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones