Trying to Root with the Beta 3.21 Unrevoked please help!

Last Updated:

1. dguidry12

dguidry12 New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 12, 2010
    Could someone please help I keep getting "failed to flash recovery image" every time I go throug the process on the Beta Test 3.21. Everyone seems to be having success.

I no that I have the bootloader installed and the phone is definetly on "charge only" mode when I try to use the program.

I know for a fact that there is no HTC Synce or anything downloaded to my computer that could hurt it because I am on a brand new computer.

What am I there something else that I need to download to my computer or phone to make it work?

2. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Did you at least install HTC Sync long enough to get the ADB driver?

Download HTC Sync, with your phone connected, let the ADB driver install then uninstall Sync.
  3. redninja

redninja Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    i never had htc sync on my lap,, so i had to install the driver before it would work.
  4. biblefreak

biblefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    The walk through never specifically mentions why you install HTC Sync just to turn around and uninstall it! For those that are unaware, when you install HTC Sync it also installs the driver that Windows needs to be able to recognize your phone. When you uninstall HTC Sync, it gets rid of the HTC Sync program so that when you are "debugging" your phone there are no other pieces of software trying to talk to your phone at the same time, but leaves the driver behind!
    Also, when running the reflash utility, follow the instructions! I think what worked for me was to have debugging turned off and the phone unplugged, when the utility says to plug in the phone and turn USB debugging on, do just that and the utility will take over and do the rest.
  5. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Jul 7, 2010
    This is why it's important to follow all procedures exactly as written. Stuff like installing and immediately uninstalling sync may seem ******ed, but it's there for a reason.

If you ever see a step in a procedure that seems irrelevant, or doesn't apply to your situation, you should STOP. Don't try to skip or work around it. Ask via the forums to see what others did. Take these precautions, and you're unlikely to get your phone stuck in some weird state.

And always remember to check the date of the procedures. If it's more than a month old, it might be irrelevant already.