Trying to root with ubuntu 10.04

Last Updated:

1. neuro_dee

neuro_dee Member This Topic's Starter

ok im admittedly quite the noob, but i always give it a shot!
    Ive been trying a few days to root my dinc with no avail, i tried on an old xp machine, ive tried using VM Ware win 7 and XP guests on an ubuntu 64 host, since most of the tutorials ive seen have been for windows. No luck so now im trying to root on my ubuntu 64 laptop (lucid). So I have a couple of questions about this ubuntu attempt
    1. Has anyone had any luck with this? Ive tried to search for a step by step ubuntu tut, but i really havnt found one.
    2. Is there a way to tell if you have the proper drivers in linux or if sdk is installed properly? I'm assuming that I have sdk installed correctly in that if i put it in debug mode, and run $ sudo ./adb devices my phone is listed.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement
  2. pez252

pez252 Member

I have successfully rooted my phone from Ubuntu 10.4.

If your phone is shown in ./adb devices you should be good. You can also try ./adb shell to make sure it connected while the phone is fully booted. With current root methods relying on timing you can use tail -f /var/log/messages to see exactly when the phone is detected/lost during the boot to recovery process. Some people find it helpful.

Personally I used the time (with stopwatch) the insertion of the sdcard and increment by half a second each attempt till it works method, so those messages didn't matter for me, but 7.5 seconds was the sweet spot for inserting the 2GB card that came with the phone.

Also if you want an equivalent to loop.bat while following a windows guide, use: while true; do ./adb shell; done

Good luck! (if you'd like a step by step let me know and I'll put something together)

And when you're done, you'll be able to run ubuntu on your phone :-D
    http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-incredible/120622-how-run-ubuntu-droid-incredible.html

3. neuro_dee

Thanks for the reply, ill let you know how it turns out. This is definitely distracting me from my med school studies i have got to root this soon so I stop dwelling on it! ha

4. neuro_dee

just curious did u start your .5 sec increments from the white HTC screen or the black explanation screen?

5. neuro_dee

I did as you said 7.5 sec with a stopwatch, stock 2 GB disk and I finally got adb in recovery! The loop command you gave worked great
    Thank you and this is why I love Linux!

6. neuro_dee

I have another question, im following the guide (PRS) on this forum to complete my root, but I get some directory not found errors. here is what I have in terminal per the instructions

dom@dom-laptop:~/sdk/tools$ ./adb shell
    $ su
    # export PATH=$PATH:/system/bin
    # cd /system/app
    # cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > Superuser.apk
    /sdcard/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory
    # cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > Superuser.apk
    /sdcard/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory
    # cd /system/bin
    # cat /sdcard/su > su
    /sdcard/su: No such file or directory
    # ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su /*
    # chmod 06755 su

All the files were pushed successfully. Is there different commands that I should be using since its linux?

7. pez252

pez252 Member

There are no different commands because of Linux at that point. You could try "ls /sdcard" in the adb shell to make sure that the files pushed successfully.

Be aware of capitalization. (though everything looks correct in what you pasted)

Technically those files can be on the sd card before you begin the process. If it turns out that the files are not listed when you do ls /sdcard (but update.zip is listed) then they are not actually pushing correctly.

If you can't get them to push, you could always reboot, mount sd card as a drive and copy them over, then re-do the root process.

If update.zip isnt listed when you do ls /sdcard then for some reason it's not seeing the sdcard any more.

Edit: I just tested in recovery on my phone. I'm running ClockwordMod recover, so it may be different than the stock recovery. Neither recovery mounts the sdcard by default. This is why in the root instructions they have you attempt to apply update.zip before it actually exists as this causes the sd card to be mounted.

I was able to manually mount the sdcard as such: mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /sdcard/
    If you find ls /sdcard returns nothing, type mount and hit enter. If there is no mount entry for the sdcard then use the mount command above and try yout cat commands again.

8. pez252

pez252 Member

Also in case someone else sees this and asks, I saw that other people were having success in the 7-8 second range with the stock sd card. I gave it a try and it worked multiple times in a row. I found it better to error just past 7.5 than just before. (keeping in mind the margin or error even when timing it)

9. pez252

pez252 Member

Also for other people... I started timing the moment I selected the recovery option from the hboot screen. Was this the same for you neuro_dee?

10. pez252

pez252 Member

11. neuro_dee

Thanks for your help, I'm rooted with tether installed! Now to figure out why my computer cannot connect to it HA!

I started counting the moment I pressed recovery also, and anywhere between 7.5-8 seconds works for me every time.

12. pez252

pez252 Member

The wireless tether application is running in ad hoc mode. Some devices don't like connecting to ad hoc networks (though laptops are usually ok with it.)

I haven't seen a way to run in infrastructure mode instead, but there are a bunch of people asking how if you google it. Maybe the answer is buried there somewhere.