• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying to root, won't boot into recovery

Erisuser 1-- when I reboot, vol up + end + send, I get the boot screens. I have rebooted any number of times. So, to answer your question #1, it is my ignorance about accessing the H boot screen that seems to be the problem. I am sorry that I didn't quite understand your directions.

The trouble we are having is one of communication. Computers are extraordinarily picky in their behavior - so if you try to describe something across a poor medium like a bulletin board, essential details tend to get left out, and the person on the other end is left having to

- assume "this", and
- guess at "that".

That's a perfect recipe for misunderstanding, even though the person on the other end might be an expert. So, it always helps to provide as many details as possible.

Beyond that, though - careful reading is also required. For instance, not once did I suggest that anyone should press "vol up + end + send".

Vol-Up + End -> Recovery Boot (most of the time)
Vol-Down + End -> HBOOT a.k.a. Bootloader
Send + End -> Fastboot mode

I just read the reply from you above - and I honestly can not tell whether you are saying that now you are getting either the FASTBOOT, HBOOT, or Recovery mode screens to appear, or if you are still in the same place you were 2 hours ago - that the phone just boots up normally.

Arrgh.

eu1

Upvote 0
I have tried all iterations of pressing. Press vol up, then press power, then release power, hold vol up. Or, press vol up and power simultaneously, release power, hold vol up. Or, press vol up and power simultaneously, release simultaneously.

There are some phones which mysteriously do not want to go into the recovery boot using the Vol-Up + End key combination. I suspect that the ones that behave this way have a 1.46.0000 bootloader version.

Having said that, the correct proceedure for well behaved phones is this:

Press and hold the Vol-Up button. Continue to hold it down.
Press and hold the End button. Continue to hold BOTH buttons down until the screen lights up (3 skateboarding androids).

That's it - there is no "hold this first, release that second". Obviously, you can not press the End button first, because that starts a normal boot sequence. You must start the sequence by pressing and holding the Vol-Up button first.

Having said all that, this board has had reports from people that could not get into recovery directly with Vol-Up+End. (At least one of them reported having the 1.46.0000 bootloader). But in every one of those cases, they COULD get into either HBOOT mode or FASTBOOT mode by starting the phone up differently - and by following the menus from there, could get into the recovery boot indirectly.

Getting in to HBOOT mode is very similar to the above instructions: Vol-DOWN + End, starting first with Vol-Down, and holding both down until the screen lights up. In this case, the screen should light up almost instantly and present the HBOOT menu (with the recovery boot there is a delay of a few seconds).

Getting in to FASTBOOT mode is very similar to the above (two sets of) instructions: Send + End, starting first with Send, and holding both down until the screen lights up. Again in this case, the screen should light up almost instantly, and present the FASTBOOT menu.

Whew. I hope that leads to some progress.

eu1

Upvote 0
Erisuser, pulled battery, now in fastboot screen. Thank you, but still need a bit of direction from here.

Look on the screen, it tells you which button to press to get to Bootloader (it might say HBOOT, I can't remember).

Once you get to the HBOOT menu (bootloader), it gives another menu which tells you how to get to RECOVERY. Use the button it tells you to (Vol-Up, if I remember correctly).

eu1

Upvote 0
when i try to boot eris in recovery phone with red triangle and exclamation point appears. have had this problem before and just switched method of booting (started by using power and vol down, then switched to power and vol up). now nothing gets me past triangle screen. please help.

Murph,

Did you take a look at all of the stuff described above (and try them)?

If it still isn't working, I would strongly suspect that you are not (no longer?) rooted or have lost recovery (somehow).

What you are describing is the stock recovery screen.

Can you confirm that you are/were rooted?

Upvote 0
I did read/try everything above. I was rooted but had another issue with my phone so verizon sent me a new one. i am trying to root again the same way i have in the past. i just keep getting stuck at the stock recovery screen (thanks). can i do anything from that screen or is there a way for me to root that doesnt require me to boot in recovery?

Upvote 0
I did read/try everything above. I was rooted but had another issue with my phone so verizon sent me a new one. i am trying to root again the same way i have in the past. i just keep getting stuck at the stock recovery screen (thanks). can i do anything from that screen or is there a way for me to root that doesnt require me to boot in recovery?

No, unfortunately, the only way that you can get the su program and the SuperUser app installed is by flashing a custom ROM (already containing those programs) or flashing an update.zip type file that installs su / SuperUser app from custom recovery.

Did you look at my post #3 and follow that link too?

Which rooting method are you using? (my guess is jcase's 1-click method / app). If you don't power-down after running the app for the first time, then you won't actually get the custom recovery properly installed. You've got to run the app, power off and back on, then reboot into recovery.

Reactions: murph44
Upvote 0
Oh sure, there goes Scary showing me up again. :)
Murph, do whatever it is that Scary says- he's NEVER wrong!!

Well, there was that one time, but that guy said he'd been wanting a new paperweight anyway - and his now useless phone does nicely. :)

Lol...nah, I leave the paperweight-resurrections / exorcisms to eu1 ;)
[I'm am but a padawan to eu1-Kenobi :D].

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones