Trying to switch S2X to MobilicitySupport

Last Updated: 2012-10-24 19:41:28
  1. lgerussi

lgerussi New Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2X SGH-989D that I bought recently from Koodo. It's been unlocked, and I'm trying to switch over to Mobilicity, but so far I haven't had any luck. Since the phone is the exact same model at the Telus/T-Mobile variant, I thought there'd be no problem. When I put in a mobi sim, it finds the access point, but will not register on the network. Even when I dial *#*#2268#*#* and select 1700 as the preferred band, it still will not register. I haven't ported my number over yet, I've just done trials with other people's mobilicity sim cards.

All the Mobilicity sales people I've talked to seem to think its a some kind of lock that is built into the Koodo version. Has anyone had any experience with this, or is there another compatibility issue I'm overlooking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums lgerussi. :ciao:

I don't really have any many suggestions. Have you talked to Koodo to see if they can help? Have you checked your APN to see if its set up correctly for Mobi? I don't know very much about Koodo. Does the phone have the correct frequencies to work with Mobilecity?
  3. lgerussi

lgerussi New Member

The S2X does have 1700 AWS band capability. Mobilicity is WCDMA; my S2X has GSM/HSPA modes only in its menus ... however when *#*#2263#*#*'d it, it shows an option for 1700 WCDMA as the preferred network. This makes me think that the phone itself is capable of using AWS, but there's some sort sort of compatibility issue or advanced lock with the Koodo version. Keep in mind its the same phone as the Hercules T-Mobile/Telus model.

Any thoughts?
  4. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Everything I've been able to find says it should be compatible with Mobilicity. Have you tried adding a new APN with settings for Mobilicity?