trying to understand my phone

Last Updated:

1. sithterror

sithterror Member This Topic's Starter

I was hoping to find info on how to update my Hero, sprint, as i have had it stock since Jan 2010. i ahve read a few posts from "all things root" and this forum but am still 'mystified' so to say about everything over all.
    Model #= HTC Hero
    Firmware= 1.5
    Baseband= 1.04.01.09.21
    kernel ver.= 2.6.27-533ce29d htc-kernel
    build #= 1.56.651.2 CL85027 release keys
    software= 1.56.651.2
    hardware= 0002

now i dont know what this all means except i think it is telling me that i am on sprint ver. 1.56.x but there is a 2.xx build out for update??!

is this phone rootable? it is stock to my knowledge asi havent had anything done to it since i got it in my posession from a carrier dealer.

settings> system updates> i only have firmware/update profile/update PRL..........why dont i have a htc update OS type function?

i dont want the update from sprint that will deny 'rooting' my phone and am happy with the apps i am running (easytether espec.).......
    --so is there an update to get me better functionality, from sprint, without losing 'root' ability?
    --is there a non-sprint OS version to get (is that the whole root thing) that is safe but doesnt gimp the phone??

Thanks for helping me understand this and advice to give!!

Advertisement
  2. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

Since you are sure you want to root, then you should ask your question in "All Things Root" including the pros and cons of the available ROMs to use on a rooted phone.

There is nothing from Sprint other than the 2.1 update.

3. flairmedk

flairmedk Well-Known Member

Well I will give you some basic answers as I know just enough to be dangerous but maybe it will help till someone with more knowledge can help out.

1.5 = cupcake (android name) which is the original OS that came with the Hero. All The OS's come non-rooted. Root is like getting to the C:\ of a computer (basicly having access to all the folders as I understand root). With you current software you can do any OTA (Over The Air, or initiated by selecting any of the "System updates" under menu>settings>about phone. You will not cause any root issues with these updates. There is a 2.1 = eclair update available. Sprint has the updates available via Sprint.com and you can search there. I do not know which version is on their site. The day it was released it was rootable. The next day an OTA update made the root go un-usable. Soon after someone came up with a website that can "root" any version of 2.1 currently available (www.unrevoked.com), however it doesn't completely root the phone to allow acess to certain folders as I see by reading that thread. There is another method called toast that will root the phone competely as I understand it. Now with all that said rooting is not a bad thing, but you can screw up your phone if not done correctly. If you root you can put custom ROM's on the phone. Each dev makes them with what they think people will like and use, while trying to make the phone fast. To root a phone "most" custom ROMs require you to download the android SDK (software development kit) from google and install it on you computer this allows you to enter the code you see in some of the All Things Root section. So basicly yes your phone is rootable, it will void your warranty if you do so. To update to 2.1 you will have to download it to a computer and connect your phone to that computer via usb and run the file. You can read up on what the "2.1 Offical Release" offers vs 1.5. The HTC update only shows up once you have 2.1 installed on your phone. In the end you have to decide what you need out of your phone. If it works like you want it to then don't mess with it. If you want to see what other things it can do then you can update the software to 2.1 or root and get a custom rom. If you are just really getting into the whole thing, then I would read, read, and then read some more. Then decide. I'm sure some people have a better knowledge and can give you more info.

sithterror likes this.
  4. sithterror

sithterror Member This Topic's Starter

i appreciate the enlightenment!!

i am reading and reading like you suggested and have a better 'feel' for what i am considering doing....thanks!

5. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

ONLY if you pulled your battery while the phone is writing to it's ROM! Certainly not impossible, but HIGHLY improbable!!!

Considering that you can UNROOT your phone as well and there is no way for them to know this was done I would disagree. Besides it is debatable as to if the ROOTING falls into the UNINTENDED USE category which would void your warranty. I have yet to see a single post anywhere that had a Hero Owner state they had an issue, returned the phone to Sprint and was denied Warranty coverage due to ROOTING.

I'm not looking to debate, just wanted to address some of the MYTHS that come with the territory ;)
    :D

HAppy TRails!
    :cool: