Trying to update from Eclair to Gingerbread on unrooted Captivate

Last Updated:

1. lala7625

lala7625 New Member

I'd like to update my phone from Eclair to Gingerbread and frankly, my head is dizzy from all the vastly different instructions I have found all over the internet!

My phone is not rooted but, using Android Sync Manager, I have backed up my phone and am ready to move forward. I have tried updating from the phone itself but it hangs at 99% and then tells me the download/update failed.

Now for the part that'll make you groan and roll your eyes - I'm coming from BlackBerry so I'm used to doing all this with the greatest of east and have no idea about Odins and the like. And I'm blonde. And female. You can see my dilemma.

I have searched the forum (as best I could) but nothing seemed to fit my situation. If you have a link to a previous thread or are willing to give me instructions like I was a toddler (or, blond BlackBerry user), I would be eternally grateful as I many of the apps I need for my job require at least 2.2.

Thanks in advance!

2. Italo

Italo Well-Known Member

If you can't get the OTA update to work, your best bet is probably Kies (Samsung's version of iTunes, basically). It should install the drivers for the phone as well.

What's new for Software & Manual SAMSUNG