• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help trying to upgrade O/S

slo_hand2

Lurker
Jun 19, 2015
I have a GalaxyS4G through T-Mobile.
Model # SGH-T959V
Firmware ver.2.2.1
BASEBAND VER.T959VUVKB5
Kernal #2.6.32.9
Build# FROYO.VUVKB5

I called Samsung and they said I could upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3

The reason I need to upgrade is because although 4Glte is available in my area I am only getting 2G service.

I tried Kies and Kies lite but it says I need to d/l Samsung Smart Switch to d/l however google play says it is not compatible with my phone.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get this done.

When I click software update on the phone it says "No Firmware"

I have a GalaxyS4G through T-Mobile.
Model # SGH-T959V
Firmware ver.2.2.1
BASEBAND VER.T959VUVKB5
Kernal #2.6.32.9
Build# FROYO.VUVKB5

I called Samsung and they said I could upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3

The reason I need to upgrade is because although 4Glte is available in my area I am only getting 2G service.

I tried Kies and Kies lite but it says I need to d/l Samsung Smart Switch to d/l however google play says it is not compatible with my phone.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get this done.

When I click software update on the phone it says "No Firmware"

Hello and welcome to Android Forums slo_hand2 :)

Your model, the T959V, is the Samsung Vibrant model for T-Mobile.

I have requested that our kind, helpful, friendly and sober mods move your post to the Samsung Vibrant forum where you should receive more help for your model.

Samsung Vibrant

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome @slo_hand2 !
I moved your thread per @ironass request and only after he bought me a couple pints :)
beerchug.gif

Let me check sammobile.com to see if I can find something to flash via ODIN. (if possible.)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I do not understand why kies will not work but that being said is there any other app./program that I can use to install or upgrade the o/s?
I d/l MOBILEedit and it connected with the phone correctly how ever the unpaid version does not allow you to do anything like upgrade so it was worthless other then knowing the phone will connect to the laptop.
I got this phone from my son when he got a new I phone a year ago, the phone is older yes coming out in 2011, but I would think it would not be this hard to upgrade the o/s.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: slo_hand2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones