Trying to upgrade to Safestrap 3.05, unable to remove 1.08

1. crackface

crackface Well-Known Member

Hi -

I'm trying to upgrade to Safestrap 3.05 before I try a new ROM I'm considering, and I'm a little confused on how to get there from the Safestrap 1.08 my device is showing as installed.

I was following the following post:
    How to remove safestrap 1.08

If it matters, I did not see a Safestrap app in my app list with my old ROM (Eclipse 3.0). I booted into recovery, switched to non safe mode, and rebooted. This appeared to boot my system to factory ROM. I skipped through the setup/account options, and went looking for Safestrap in the app list again, and it's not listed in my app list. This includes the app tray and the list I see when I go to settings to manage my apps.

I *think* what I'm trying to do is uninstall SS 1.08 like I would any other app, reboot to verify no recovery options exist, and then install 3.05. But not sure what I should do at this point if I don't see 1.08 to uninstall (even though it IS there, as I can boot and still see option to select recovery menu.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Advertisement
    :
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

That would be normal. The way that you install safestrap is to:

- root stock
    - install the safestrap app
    - touch the button to install the safestrap recovery and restart the phone.

So, the safestrap app itself would only be on the non-safe, rooted stock "ROM".

That's all correct so far.

Aha! It sounds as if you did a wipe data/factory reset on the non-safe/stock.

Right, because once you did the factory reset, it wiped out all of the apps that you installed, including Safestrap.

Actually, this is what you need to do (in the non-safe system):

- turn on third party app installs in settings->applications
    - reinstall the Safestrap 1.08 app (NOT the 3.05 version!)
    - start the Safestrap app and touch the button to uninstall recovery
    - restart the phone to make sure that Safestrap is no longer in the boot process
    - uninstall the Safestrap 1.08 app (from settings->applications->manage applications)
    - install the new Safestrap 3.05 app
    - Start the new Safestrap app and tap the button to install recovery.
    - restart the phone to make sure that Safestrap is there

Now you can create ROM slots, etc. I'd suggest that you avoid a factory reset of the stock system going forward, in case you want to do the same thing in the future.

If you don't have a copy of Safestrap 1.08 anymore, let me know; I still have a copy somewhere.
    crackface likes this.
  3. crackface

crackface Well-Known Member

Forgot to circle around and say thank you for this!!

I wasn't able to find 1.08, but installed 1.09 over what was there, and I was then able to remove recovery, proceed to stock, then install 3.05.

Thx again!
    doogald likes this.