Tunein Radio keeps cutting out !

1. Mike777

Mike777 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Love this application but keeps cutting out after about 5 minutes .... then come back on after about 30 seconds..

Any ideas why this is ?

Many thanks for your time regards

Mike

Advertisement
  2. faz1964

faz1964 Well-Known Member

Hi

Mine does exactly the same, so your not on your own:)
  3. RedBob62

RedBob62 Well-Known Member

I've been using TuneIn to listen to the cricket from Aus over night and have had uninterupted listening for 5 - 6 hours at a time (plus bags under my eyes). Have you got a decent Wifi signal?
  4. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Is there a "choose stream" in the list when listening? Some stations that stream 192kbit chop off alot so if there's a choice I go with 128kbit.
  5. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Probably down to your internet connection rather than the app.
  6. Yep. When it pauses it's buffer is empty and needs to catch up.
  7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

It can also depend on the station your listening to also and the servers internet connection/load. I find some stations are a bit more reliable than others. If other stations are working fine, odds are its that particular stream going weird.
  8. shantytownbrown

shantytownbrown Well-Known Member

someone mentioned in another thread a known issue, to fix goto:

menu-->settings-->wireless and netowrks--> mobile networks(options)-->make sure "enable always on mobile data" is selected

many folks turned this off to preserve battery life.

I turned it back on wheni had tune-in problems like this, now i stream uninterrupted....

try it
  9. dbalch

dbalch Well-Known Member

My tune in radio stations are pretty reliable. I'm pretty sure cut outs are the result of mobile signal weakness/loss, but like another guy said, it might just be the stations you listen to. I only listen to three or four, so don't have broad experience.

Tune in is by far my favorite and most used app on the phone.
  10. Of course you are aware that, as long as TuneIn is running, it will be eating into your data plan, aren't you? That's not a problem if you listen for a half hour. It will make a considerable dent, though, if you have it running most of the day every day...
  11. shantytownbrown

sprint=unlimited data (cant speak for others, but i am not worried)
  12. lakeside

lakeside Well-Known Member

Verizon - Unlimited data plan. Not a concern for me either!:D
  13. dbalch

dbalch Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't care about data either, because I have unlimited, but battery life is an issue.

Tune in consumes about 20 pct of my battery every hour its running. Usage caused me to buy back up batteries.
  14. shantytownbrown

I only use it in the car...or at my desk at work..plugged in in both places...

the few times i did use it in the car without the car charger tho, i had noticed minimal battery usage, but then again it was a short trip (<1/2 hr)....
  15. Onebadsarge

Onebadsarge New Member

Unlimited here too....Copleo must have an ATT android phone. At&T controls everything you do on your own phone
  16. FlyingDutch

FlyingDutch New Member

Also while using WiFi (on Nexus S - Android 2.3.3) you might want to double-check the WiFi sleep policy. You check this by:

menu==> settings ==> wireless and networks ==> Wi-Fi settings ==> bring up the menu and select <Advanced> ==> Wi-Fi sleep policy and set this to "Never"

Bottom line for me. I have set all as suggested but even connected through a reliable Wi-Fi connection it reguarly cuts out for me. I think the TuneIn server has to deal with too many streams at the same time.. It's a great app though, I never imagined listening to my local Dutch stations from across the globe!
  17. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Well-Known Member

The TuneIn server doesn't stream anything. It merely points to places where the stream originates from.

Try a different station. See if it happens. The stations you listen to might be overloaded, or since your are listening from rather far, latency might be nailing you.
  18. Jayzar

Jayzar New Member

I'm trying to stream BBC Radio 1 from London over 50Mb wifi and Tunein (free version) cuts out constantly!

I can't reliably use it as an alarm because there's every chance it won't connect!

The BBC IPlayer ap works perfectly with no drop outs ever, prooving that it's not the stream, but is restricted to being a foreground ap on wifi :(

I'd be happy to upgrade to pro but it get's even worse reviews!

No solution atm :(