Turn android phone into a wireless repeater

1. kirky_D

kirky_D New Member

Hi there!

Is it possible (is there an app) to use my desire as a wireless repeater. So my phone connects to the router and my computer connects to the phone.

Cheers

Advertisement
    :
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

You can use your phone as a wireless access point once your phone is upgraded to FroYo. Or you can root the thing and use it now.
  3. fractalsphere

fractalsphere Member

Probably not, since there won't be two separate wireless antennas in the phone. I did a hardwire tether to my Evo, and then did Internet Sharing of my wireless (Windows 7 Ent. laptop) and it worked like a charm. If that'll help.
  4. kirky_D

kirky_D New Member

Ok guys, thanks for your help. Didn't really think it was possible, but thought i'd ask any way.
  5. dieseldum

dieseldum Active Member

evo can with up to 8 different devices
  6. Graham

Graham Well-Known Member

It is possible to do it with only one radio I believe. It can run in AP mode as well as client.
    I have done this on Linux netbooks but yet to work out how to do it in Android...
  7. jtangles

jtangles New Member

I was wondering if anyone wanted to contribute to an app which specifically does this? I'm looking to put together something on sourceforge. Seems like this can be done but depending on the model it can be some trouble much like any of the other mobile device apps.

Currently theres 3 people who are looking to contribute and we just need someone who can actually put together a decent layout with some graphics to make it look fancy. Neither of us are graphically inclined.

To contribute to the thread, we've found a few people writing reviews at WiFi Repeater Reviews | Wireless Repeater Reviews which have stated that they've already made their own but haven't offered them to the market yet.

We figure that a few of you most likely use this forum so if this pertains to one of you please contact.
  8. rkalkunte

rkalkunte New Member

I am interested in finding out more about this opensource work and how to help.
  9. r3ddogg

r3ddogg New Member

I would be interested in helping with this project as well.
  10. michabbs

michabbs New Member

I would be very interested in such app!

Such app already exists for IPhone (jailbroken of course). "MyWi" is able to work as a wireless client and hotspot at the same time. I tested it in hotels and airports and it works like a charm! I have internet in all my devices, but the hotel's hotspot thinks, that only one client is connected. :)

If it is possible on Ios, it definitely must be possible also on Android. We "just" need someone to make it. :)
  11. supergalley

supergalley New Member

and the line goes dead before the magic begins!
  12. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Love the idea!