Turn by Turn GPS Navigation on Android 1.5General

Last Updated:

1. andrew8806

andrew8806 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just encountered an open source GPS Application by the name of Waze. Let me know what you all think!

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Syv3n

Syv3n Well-Known Member

Is this VOICE turn by turn? Because Google maps does turn by turn just doesnt have voice until 2.0/2.1..

3. andrew8806

Well.. if you download the Text to Speech in the market it speaks to turn by turn... but you can't activate it by your own voice.

DESCRIPTION

Waze

4. wharf rat

wharf rat New Member

It has (what seems to be) rather negative reviews on its Market page. Does anyone have experience with the app?

5. andrew8806

6. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Waze is still in beta production and has a ways to go to update roads and such. I wanted to travel from Upstate NY to Northern Maine and Waze said it was not able to log over 200 mile destinations. If they can aggressively update their maps this will be a very big positive til something else comes along.

7. iandroidian

iandroidian Active Member

I uninstalled waze. It can not find my destination address half of the time. And a 6 mile trip sometime becomes a 20 miles making you make a U-turn a few times before leting you turn to your actual turn. It's not self learning or auto calculate if you made a detour. Wait for the google turn by turn.

I tried a2b, nav4all, and wisepilot. They are all a big disappointment coming from vznav and dash.

8. vdubbin

vdubbin Well-Known Member

I agree, all those apps were big disappointments, at least from my standpoint! I had the same problems, all the apps having a hard time locating my destination/address, the UI's wern't attractive either. GPS was on and 3G active... no difference. I used the beta google nav when I had the moto droid and it was great, reminded me of my fiance's garmin! Wonder what the non beta google nav will be like... if I could change anything about google nav it would be to have some optional voices for turn by turn, the default was a bit robotic and choppy for my taste.