turn-by-turn sat nav

Last Updated:

1. ziggy

ziggy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

where can i get a decent turn-by-turn sat nav on my hero?

i phoned orange today and they confirmed to me that orange sat nav is NOT compatible with android devices! there goes my free sat nav that i was promised!

where else can i get a decent turn-by-turn sat nav?

Advertisement
  2. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

3. ziggy

is that a good one?
    i really need a top quality one. dont mind how much its costs.

4. Richard diddly

Richard diddly Member

Been using Co-pilot app for android for the last week pretty good and I'm a big Tom Tom fan. If you get the UK maps only, its only 25 quid.

5. paulfhome

paulfhome New Member

I've used the WinMo version for several months, it's fully specced and works well, I would reccomend it. The Tech support is very good too

6. my05

my05 Active Member

Hi,

Have they released the non US versions yet? I mailed them earlier and they were about to ship CoPilot on DVD (besides the market)? When i look for it, only the US version shows in the market.

regards

Daniel

7. AndyCr15

AndyCr15 Member

Does anyone know if TomTom have any plans to release for Android?

8. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

I dont know if TeleNav will work on the Hero ... but you can check it out ....

9. tchowes

tchowes Member

I've just called Orange because I was sold my Hero as being bundled with satnav software. Not v impresssed when they told me that was google maps! Went through to retentions and argued for a bit, then got the girl to ask her supervisor for some money off to go towards buying Co-pilot. Gave me

10. ldn-j

ldn-j Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what's wrong with Google maps ? Are there things it can't do ?

11. ziggy

google maps doesnt give voice directions, which are obviously needed in the car

12. colsnr

colsnr Active Member

Been using Copilot Live 8 downloaded for

13. rdelfin

rdelfin Well-Known Member

I've been using CoPilot Live here in the US, and the performance is acceptable, specially considering it's only 35 bucks (American) compared to what it would cost to purchase a real GPS unit. Maps might be a little outdated for certain areas, but not that much to make this thing unusable.

The phone takes a little longer that I'd wish to lock the GPS signal, but that's just me being picky.

14. htc-hero-lad-uk

htc-hero-lad-uk Member

I've got both CoPilot and Ndrive on my htc-hero, and I would say that Ndrive is better. Im surprised no one ever mentions it. Its slicker, faster, better graphics, looks more like TomTom, and most importantly, your location moves in real time when you are driving - ( in CoPilot, there is a noticeable delay, where your location moves in steps, every 3 secons or so, which is problematic if you are turning left then right quickly through small streets )

15. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Ndrive? I've looked in the market place and looked on NDrive's own website, and they don't mention android, are you sure it's an HTC Hero you've got there ;)

16. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Do any CoPilot users find that it keeps losing GPS signal even on wide open roads? It seems to do it mostly when I'm driving quite fast, it didn't have any problems when I was driving around in London a few weeks ago.

17. htc-hero-lad-uk

htc-hero-lad-uk Member

lol. yeh, do a google search for Ndrive android, and even for CoPiliot andrioid, and u can just download them free of the net - although i'd reccomend buying them to support the developers ;)

18. ScumPuppy

ScumPuppy Well-Known Member

maybe this will be of interest to you

Augmented reality Sat Nav on android.. cant see this being too far away, and from the looks of it you wont need maps installed locally etc.. I imagine it will drain your battery loads using teh video camera but who cares, augmented reality satnav = Niiiiiiiiiiiice

YouTube - Augmented Reality On Android - DailyMobile.se

enjoy ;)

19. rdelfin

Looks very promising indeed!.. No need to load maps, clever.

20. rdelfin

I googled for this Ndrive software and indeed, there is a copy circulating the 'internets'.

It's important to mention that this is not a released, but a LEAKED copy. The official product hasn't been launched as of yet, and it's not available in the Market nor the Developer's site, so you would need to follow a set of instructions in order to hack it and have it work 'properly' (as properly this can get), and you'd need to know what you're doing. And then, you can't be certain if you'd be able to download future bug fixes, updates, etc...

From what I saw in the Ndrive's site, this tool seems to be more robust than CoPilot (just my non-founded first impression), but the cost is much greater too: I saw that to get it with maps for North America they have an asking price of 80 euro (that's 115 USD, versus the 35 USD for Copilot).

Just to set things in perspective, for 115 bucks I can get a true dedicated GPS unit (basic/entry level) here in the States, rather than just software for a phone. :rolleyes:

21. Ipsnay

Ipsnay New Member

Hi, I can't find ndrive in the marketplace on my HTC Hero. Am I doing something wrong?
    thaks

22. wormdazzler

wormdazzler Member

23. Ipsnay

Ipsnay New Member

Hi, thanks! It just says to download the app from the marketplace. I've emailed them for advice, and will post anything useful I get back

fingers crossed :p

/Ipsnay

24. NeilB

NeilB Active Member

This post was written in August and in November at some point I visited Orange World (which you have to do through the mobile data networks, not broadband even if you are Orange Broadband) and downloaded Orange Navigation.

Its not the greatest sat nav software I've seen, but given that its free, its worth every penny ;) On the occasions I've used it (which is the great thing about a free sat nav, you don't mind if you don't use it much) it took me right to the door of the places I was going to.

I find it hard to understand its attempts at reading road names, but as soon as you see the name - you know thats what it was trying to say :)

25. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Tom Tom haven't released a android version nore would i buy one.
    Tom tom is way over priced for the product they offer.

I have the dedicated tt unit in my car and it is very good but having looked at what they charge for the iphone version with half the features.
    No thanks.