• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hey guys I just got the Droid DNA after returning my iphone 5 and I am loving it. I know when I am at work the reception isn't the greatest so I know it will be switching back and forth from 4G which I know will kill the battery. Is there any way to turn off the 4G? Thanks

Download Phone Info from the Play Store.

-Open the app
-Select Phone Information
-Scroll down to Set preferred network type:
-Change it to CDMA auto (PRL)
-Enjoy 3G

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Why not just disable mobile internet completely in the settings? Your battery will last much longer and theres a built in widget from HTC that lets you quickly turn it on and off. Thats what I do when I'm at work.

I do this as well. You'll still get calls/texts.

If your work has WiFi is also suggest connecting to it. WiFi is a huge battery saver

Upvote 0
I may be off here Mayham but I think with these new Radio it doesn't matter anymore. Someone told me that. I even tried it on my last phone. I noticed not one difference (in Batt life) shutting off 4G. And I'm in a spotty area also. That was what all the hype about the combined radios was (as compared to then there were two seperate ones). I tested on my S3 and again didn't notice a difference in life one bit. Still try it but I think those days are over. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
I may be off here Mayham but I think with these new Radio it doesn't matter anymore. Someone told me that. I even tried it on my last phone. I noticed not one difference (in Batt life) shutting off 4G. And I'm in a spotty area also. That was what all the hype about the combined radios was (as compared to then there were two seperate ones). I tested on my S3 and again didn't notice a difference in life one bit. Still try it but I think those days are over. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Back in the days of first gen LTE phone with separate 3G, LTE modem chips, battery drain on 4G/LTE was horrible. Switching between LTE and 3G was also sluggish and killing battery. So turning off LTE radio made big difference on battery life and overall stability of data connection at the expense of data speed. But second gen 28nm qualcomm LTE modems changed all of this to the point battery drain on LTE connection is nearly the same as 3G connection. Also second gen LTE modem is multi-mode that includes 1X, 3G (CDMA, GSM/HSPA), so radio switching is much faster and more efficient. Still frequent radio switching will consume more power than staying in 3G or 4G.

If you are in the area which is consistently 3G or 4G, forcing the radio to 3G won't make much difference on battery drain in new phones from this year. But if you live in spotty area frequently going in and out of 4G regions, forcing it to 3G will be a little better for battery life.

Upvote 0
Good, glad I was correct for once in my life. And just to clarify, when I tested while in a spotty area the drain was still minimal. It does use more juice but not like the old phones. I barely noticed it and I was in it for a while. So unless your going to be in that type of spot for hours I see no need to turn off 4G. The only time i see significant drain with these new radios Is when I'm in an area that has bad signal period. My doctors office is awful and I can watch the phone drain infront of my eyes. But that is because there is barly 1X.

Upvote 0
Why not just disable mobile internet completely in the settings? Your battery will last much longer and theres a built in widget from HTC that lets you quickly turn it on and off. Thats what I do when I'm at work.

why am i thinking that is you go to settings>wireless & networks>mobile data>preferred network and switch it to 'global' instead of CDMA/LTE it will turn off LTE????

edit: nevermind... it didn't. not sure what i was thinking.....

but yea, I haven't noticed much difference no matter what signal i was connected to, 3g or lte....

of course if you know you won't be using phone for a while then turn off data completely and you will def see a huge battery difference, also use WiFi like Rxpert said. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones