Turn off camera shutter soundSupport

1. donlow

donlow New Member

I know, it should be easy. But how can you turn off the camers shutter sound? I looked & tried everywhere.

Advertisement
    :
  2. cbreze

cbreze Well-Known Member

The only way I found is to scroll your volume down to silent before opening the cam app
  3. Sector7

Sector7 Active Member

I usually slide it silent mode on screen lock before using the camera...
  4. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Droid X is the same. Stupidity
  5. tmcdonal

tmcdonal Member

If you can get there (i.e. rooted), the sound file is located at /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg

I couldn't delete it, but I was able to replace it by copying/pasting a silent sound file with the same name using Root Explorer. (Used Audacity to create file - it's in the attached zip file.)

I'm not using the standard home screen, but for anyone interested, I would imagine the same idea would work for replacing the "swipe" sounds with the same file names

Swipe open is located at /data/data/com.nec.android.ncmc.homeapp/files/2.ogg
    and Swipe closed is at /data/data/com.nec.android.ncmc.homeapp/files/4.ogg

-Tom

Attached Files:

spjelgus, Emgo and solistica like this.
  6. solistica

solistica New Member

I am also using Root Explorer, thanks for pointing out where that file was, saved me some search time :)
    Just rooted today, so there may have been an update since then.
    But if you tap the white button that says "Mount R/W" then you have just ENABLED Read/Write permissions.
    I was able to delete the sound file with no problem, no need to replace either.
    After I did that maybe 2min later my phone did randomly quick restart into a lost signal,
    but I fixed that by just a simple hard restart, phone back to normal, and none of that crap shutter sound!!! So Annoying!!!
    Emgo likes this.
  7. SkipShowers

SkipShowers Active Member

8. runsondiesel

runsondiesel Well-Known Member

I bought CameraZoom FX for 10 cents when Google was running its 10 apps a day for 10 days for 10 cents each promotion last month. Waaaaaaay better than the stock app. I'd still recommend it at the 2.99 price.
    NE_Phil likes this.
  9. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Well-Known Member

ive always used the stock camera and never gave "alternate'apps a thought. When my streak had its last update, it screwed up mthe video and camera quality... Ill give this app a try and see if it helps returnn some measure of quality to pics.
  10. bestaudioguy

bestaudioguy Well-Known Member

I loaded the Camera360 app (free) and it has a setting to turn off the shutter sound.
  11. h20534

h20534 Member

I know you guys probably don't care, but this is actually a "safety" issue. A lot of phone manufacturers are making the shutter sound mandatory now because they want people to be aware of when a picture is being taken of them, to avoid creepers and stuff like that.
  12. tmcdonal

tmcdonal Member

Thank God the "creepers" don't know how to use volume control.

Paranoid BS.

-Tom
  13. yugostud1

yugostud1 Member

it was mainly women complaining about guys taking those "upskirt" photos...it is a mandatory option and all phones have some sort of a sound preloaded.
  14. ~aRBy~

~aRBy~ Well-Known Member

It is called Camera Phone Predator Alert Act.

It
  15. kokowawa100

kokowawa100 New Member

visit this link
    jjpda.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-disable-camera-shutter-sound.html

Are you annoying by the loud camera shutter sound and set to silent mode or volume off did not fix the problem?

Here is simple way to disable it, but your phone need to be ROOTED.

TODO:
    1. Download Root Explorer
    2. Run Root Explorer

3. Browse thru the file until "/system/media/audio/ui"
    4. Click on the [Mount Button]
    5. Rename "Shutter_01.ogg" to "Shutter_01.ogg.off"
    6. Reboot your phone. DONE

Try take a picture. Even with sound ON, your camera shutter will not make any sound :)

Email This
    BlogThis!
    Share to Twitter
    Share to Facebook
    susst1 likes this.
  16. d b

d b New Member

17. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

If you aren't rooted, this won't work.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk
  18. Turnkeys

Turnkeys Member

Managed to rename the shutter sound, no longer hearing it. Any suggestions about the loud "focus" beep?
  19. spjelgus

spjelgus New Member

I had already tried to delete and rename the file but it crashed the camera app. This however worked perfectly:)
  20. ariseni

ariseni New Member

Guys this is the right way, I just tested it on my Defy Mini (2.3.6 rooted CWM)
    The other way is to delete the camera_click.ogg using SD Maid (free version is ok) :smokingsomb: