Turn off data when roamingSupport

1. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

I'm going on holiday next month, and I dont want any nasty surprises when I see my bill due to background apps unknowingly using data when I'm abroad.

Is deactivating "Data network mode" via the power button the one-stop be all and end all way to do this?

Reason I ask is I seem to remember some settings in one or two apps (I cant remember which :confused:) to disable syncing/retreiving etc when roaming. Will I need to make sure these are also set? If so, can you point me in the right direction where these settings are, as I cant find them anywhere any more! :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. planetf1

planetf1 Active Member

You have a couple of options
    - If your provider offers any roaming data bundles at a good price, they're seriously worth considering (vodafone do
    mscactus, sam cheshire and Hawker like this.
  3. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Would... Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile networks > Data roaming (untick)... solve your problem?
  4. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Seen that one, and I've never put it on.
    So with this unticked alone would this avoid any background tasks incurring charges abroad?
    How would this differ from the deactivating "data network mode"? I suppose doing this would prevent me from receiving MMS.
  5. ironass

It's the same as the feature in your Power Button mod.

No MMS's I'm afraid. :(
    Hawker likes this.
  6. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Cheers butty.
    But its not a power button mod. That option is standard. :)
  7. ironass

Sorry mate... it's so long since I used stock firmware (day 1 to be precise) that I've forgotten what it looks like. :confused:
  8. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

I'll forgive you if you buy me a pint! :)
  9. ironass

Anytime mate... would that be still, spring or sparkling? :D
  10. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Neither.
    Guinness please :D
  11. bungeebutt

bungeebutt New Member

hi,
    out of curiosity, did unticking 'data roaming' in settings work for you? I only ask as I have it unticked and yet everytime i cross the border (i live in northern ireland but my parents live in southern ireland - i live close to the border) i get charged
  12. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

Setting the phone to WCDMA only will make the phone only allow data when it's on 3G/H/H+

Although I think this will give you less call/sms coverage as the more rural areas tend to rely on GSM, which is where Edge data downloads lurk. Using Australia for reference.