Turn off G3 internetSupport

Last Updated:

1. StefanNL

StefanNL Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,
    I just got a samsung galaxy last weekend and I love it :D. There is just 1 thing. I am going to germany (note that I'm from the Netherlands ^.^) for this week and I don't want to have a huge bill for internet use in foreign country's. So I would like to disable my Internet for just this week.

My problem is I can't figure out how.... I can't find anything in the settings menu, and I can't find an app for it.
    On my mothers phone (Nokia 5800) I could set up a password. So everytime the phone wanted to use internet, it needs a PW. is there any options for the galaxy aswell?

thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
  2. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member

By default data service in roaming is disabled, you can check it via

settings -> wireless controls -> mobile networks

make sure to check nonexistance of data icon when you cross the border :)

3. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member

Settings
    Wireless controls
    Mobile networks
    untick Data Roaming

Doesn't matter if you're on 2g or 3g, you'd get charged either way if roaming was on. Also untick background data and auto syncing in settings, data sync.

*Doh, Andronix is evidently a faster typer than me!*

4. StefanNL

thanks for the quick reply
    it is disabled, so If I understand correctly it won't connect to a different provider when I am accros the border?

5. boomtopper

boomtopper Active Member

APNdroid might be worth a look too.

6. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member

Basically it means that if you start roaming, ie using a provider other than your own service provider, it won't connect to their data services - gprs, edge, or 3g. When you connect back to your own provider it will reconnect data.

If you turn off background data and auto sync prior to turning off the roaming, you can then turn on roaming (when you wish to use it to say google the weather or footy scores), without your phone starting a sync of gmail, calendar, facebook, or whatever. Then if you wish to check your email you can just do a sync of gmail only (or whatever app you want to update). Therefore although you will get data charges you will only incur them for what you're using, not for lots of needless syncing.

7. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

The roaming button does exactly what you need.

To be double sure you can use APN toggle to turn of your APN. This is like the gateway all data gets sent through. Without it the data can't leave the phone.

And if you're REALLLY paranoid, go to the APN settings (settings -> wireless -> mobile -> apn, menu button and delete). You'll need to put your apn back in when you come back.

8. StefanNL

I've been informed enough, Thanks all! :)