Turn off just dataSupport

Last Updated:

1. tipopilota

tipopilota Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would like the ability to turn off my data connection but still get phone calls and text messages. Is this possible?

Advertisement
  2. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

add the power control widget to a homescreen. turn off the 4th button on the widget (2 circula arrows). data off. phones and texts still work

3. tipopilota

Well that turns off the data sync feature, but the 3g connection is still on which can be a problem. Any other suggestions?? I am liked how on the bb there was a way to turn off the data connection but still have the phone avail.

4. soulesschild

soulesschild Well-Known Member

And you're turning off data because....? I'm just curious since you ARE paying for it anyway.

5. tipopilota

When I am on a cruise ship i don't want to pay for the data charges that I would incur, or when i am at my cabin I don't want it to try and sync as it would take to much battery power to try and keep the data going, but I still want the phone to work.

6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I think you are looking for an app called APNDroid.

It should have what you're looking for.

7. soulesschild

soulesschild Well-Known Member

Ah, it all makes sense now ;)

8. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

3G just means its connected to the network....

9. ddarvish

ddarvish Well-Known Member

you can turn off data while roaming so that you wont incur any data charges while roaming otherwise if there is a 3g network around it will connect

10. tipopilota

To bad it doesn't seem to work for the droid. it seems to be for the GSM phones.

11. nateo200

All that app does is put in a bogus APN address which is part of the network setttings in GSM phones only so yeah your right on that. To disable data dial *#*#4636#*#* go to phone info hit menu and go to more and click disable data on boot. reset the phone and it won't load any data over cellular.

12. tipopilota

Well now to figure out how to make an app to do this like apndroid. :) But in the meantime, thank you for the disable data info.

13. Sticks

Sticks Well-Known Member

Always learning something new here.

What the heck is that *#*#4636#*#*? Who found it, what other secret numbers are there to get deeper into the "average user should not be here" areas?

I gather it is a Tech menu, but there seems to be a lot of user adjustable settings in there. A lot of things a person could do to maybe brick their phone too.

Network (GDM, CDMA...) Sim card... Ethical question, I have AT&T for my work phone. Could I install the SIM card in the SD slot, change the settings in one of these sub menus and have my Droid become my work phone?

Which brings me to another odd question. My wife is going to Thailand for 2 months, so we have put off her getting a Droid. Thailand pretty much runs off burn phones. You buy a phone number, charge it with $X for so many minuets and go. You have to call in every 6 weeks to keep that phone number. If you don't they resell the number. They all run off SIM cards, so you can keep a phone and just keep getting SIM cards. I can't remember what the network is over there (GDM, CDMA...). Would changing one of those settings allow her to use the Thai SIM card?

Might need to be a new thread.

14. nateo200

I think thailand has CDMA networks in place that you can roam on. GSM and CDMA are not interchanable by any means, even WCDMA and CDMA2000 won't work like that. The droid doesn't have a GSM radio (I REALLY wish it did for travel), those settings for gsm are there on all phones regardless. If you want your droid to become your workphone wait for the moto milestone that has 850 and 1900 UMTS support and use it on AT&T.

15. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

A program called "quick settings" has a toggle to turn off data as well as Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

16. kratt

kratt New Member

Thanks. Works great.