• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turn off multitasking?

I understand I'm in the minority here, but I don't see why there isn't any option to make it like gingerbread where only the most recent app is show, minus the snapshot.

Some here are acting like the phone is incapable of working efficiently unless the snapshots are there. Android smartphones worked for a long time on technologically inferior phones without it.

Ask a ROM developer- they may be able to make you a custom ROM. It largely has to do with HOW Android handles recent apps in RAM as to why its that way, but I misunderstood what you were seeking. The thumbnails shouldn't be difficult to eliminate. In fact, I'll go poking around my ROM to see what I learn, and let you know what I see.

Upvote 0
Think you missed my point mate.
If a decent proportion of people wanted the option to disable that, it would be in one of the MANY custom firmwares built

maybe i'm not understanding, but it seems to me that the ability is in fact built into the custom roms by simply deleting the recent apps button in the navigation bar. i deleted it on cm10.2, only to add it back in once i realized that i actually do in fact use it more than i thought.:D

Upvote 0
Yeah as i said. Remap the button. What i meant was an option to hide the thumbnail "snapshots" in the recents app.
Im on a very bare bleeding-edge rom right now with not many special features (4.4.1) but on 4.3 i had Home long-press launch the camera instead. I prefer using Pie control to multitask and i dont care how full my RAM is so i dont need the Recents app/function :thumbup:
P.s, OP you dont even need a custom rom. Just be rooted and use a "framework" and you can change things around pretty much as much as a custom rom can. Rooted android is SO customisable. Theres a load of stock android things i dont like. Im certainly not a google android purist :thumbup:

Upvote 0
It's intentionally been made that way, and there's no rational explanation for it . You can have the app closed, but the snapshot is still there and it will still take you back to the app. Doesn't make sense.

There probably is a rational explaination for not having the option. The rational explanation is that probably, there are so few people who would want that feature that the engineers felt it was not worth putting the option in. If you feel that such an option is necessary, other members have offer you avenues to request that this option be made available in future versions of Android.

I understand that it is your personal preference to have the recent apps list not show a snapshot of the app. I think we have determined that there is no way to do that. What we can offer you are some solutions to potential problems you feel you have due to this feature.

If it is a matter of other people using your phone without your permission and checking your most recently used apps, you have the option of using a lock screen that requires a password. It adds a level of inconvenience, but you have to sacrifice some incovenience for added security with the technology you have today.

If it is a matter of other people using your phone with your permission, but then snooping around where they are not welcomed, some members have offered some solutions to the issue. If it is an issue with people you know personally, then I would say it is more of a social issue than a technology issue. I let people use my devices from time to time and those devices do contain some personal information. I would expect that people who use my devices would be respectful of me and not do anything on my devices that I would deem to be inappropriate.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I understand I'm in the minority here, but I don't see why there isn't any option to make it like gingerbread where only the most recent app is show, minus the snapshot.

Some here are acting like the phone is incapable of working efficiently unless the snapshots are there. Android smartphones worked for a long time on technologically inferior phones without it.

I'm guessing its simply because no one ever thought it would be a problem. You have to remember, developers are only going to add features or allow it to be toggle-able if they think its something someone would use. And for most people, the thumbnails were a huge improvement from a UI standpoint so it never occurred to anyone to make the option to remove them.

Upvote 0
I understand most seem to think the multitask w/ snapshot is some amazing revolution. There's no way to turn it off, this is obviously intentional. Not into ROMS or any of that programmer stuff.

Also don't like the google toolbar at the top, which can be turned off, but I need it on to use voice commands and they require you keep the toolbar up there (can't move it to another screen as well), which I use for the alarm.

Going back to gingerbread. Incredible 2 had a very good camera (and good front camera for it's time - still better than some newer models) and you didn't have to use any extra apps for basic filters before taking the picture.

The reception on the earpiece was very good with the Incredible 2. The curved edges also made it so the phone fits in your pocket better and isn't as obvious (if you wear fitted pants/jeans), even if it's thicker than several newer phones.

The newer OS does look better, but it's also within standard deviation of Apple's control-everything platform, except on Android.

Upvote 0
I understand most seem to think the multitask w/ snapshot is some amazing revolution. There's no way to turn it off, this is obviously intentional. Not into ROMS or any of that programmer stuff.

Also don't like the google toolbar at the top, which can be turned off, but I need it on to use voice commands and they require you keep the toolbar up there (can't move it to another screen as well), which I use for the alarm.
There was no way of turning off the task switching with icons in GB either. I don't think having thumbnails is an "amazing revolution" - I'd call it a minor aesthetic enhancement to existing functionality - but I think that not turning it off is about as intentional as not being able to turn off the icon-based switching in GB, with the thumbnails just being incidental.

I'm with you on the Google bar, but I don't care about voice commands so it's easy for me (indeed I uninstall Google Now completely). Would using a 3rd party launcher let you put this on a different screen though?

Upvote 0
I was experimenting with Tasker and have a number of Tasks that manipulate the screen timeout, issue a Notify, and exit.

If I run one of these as the last thing I do and immediately switch to another app then there is a blank screenshot.

They must be uniquely named.

See the screenshot.

My guess is that this will be discovered, will be determined to be a bug, and will be corrected.

... Thom

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-13-14-56-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-13-14-56-42.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Nova Launcher Prime allows you to get rid of the persistent Google search bar (or have it only in portrait or landscape). You can then add the widget anywhere you want.

... Thom

I use Nova Prime as well. I just have a 1x1 Google Voice widget and Google icon instead of the Google search bar. It saves space.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones