Turn off notification sounds?General

Last Updated:

1. redwoods7

redwoods7 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, is there a way to turn off all of the notification sounds for email, calendar, and texts? There does not seem to be a global setting for things, and there's not individual settings for this, for example, with the calender, you can't turn off the sounds without turning off the on-screen pop-up reminder. Any apps for this I wonder.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

menu->settings->sounds and display and then select ringer volume. uncleck use incoming call volume for notifications.

you will get 2 volume controls. the bottom one is the notification control. drag it all the way down.

btw- most google apps have a ringtone selection of silent.

for the calendar, go to programs->calendar then hit menu and then more and then settings.

in the reminder settings set ringtone to be silent.

redwoods7 likes this.
  3. redwoods7

great, thank you!

I did the first setting, in the 2nd i couldn't find the
    "in the reminder settings set ringtone to be silent" function, but maybe this will work!

4. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

in the home screen click on the Program (the up arrow). in the list of programs click on calendar. then click menu and then more. then select Settings.

select Reminder Settings.

then tap select ringtone

make it silent.

redwoods7 likes this.
  5. redwoods7

when i tap "select ringtone" per the above, I get:

Complete action using
    -com.htc.app
    - select music

neither of these have a 'silent' option

maybe I'm missing something? I'm usually good with finding these settings.

thanks again for your help!

6. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

weird. actually there is a silent ringtone. not sure why it doesn't appear for you. can you see the silent in google talk or google voice?

7. redwoods7

neither have these have a 'silent' option in select ringtones --- odd

8. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member

Umm, maybe I've read this wrong, but is it not easier to long press the power and choose "Silent Mode" or "Vibrate Mode"?

edit: ok, i may have read it wrong... looks like you want a quick way to silence everything except the ringer... hmmmm... might be an app for that (=

9. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

or selectively turn on certain types of notifications. in the same way you can assign ringtones (including the silent tone) to some of your "annoying" contacts (or send them directly to voice mail), you can do the same for your notifications: want google voice notifications but not google talk or text.

but OP's missing the silent ringtone remains a mystery to me.

10. redwoods7

OK, just had an on-screen calendar reminder, but no tone (what I want).

I suppose the:

"menu->settings->sounds and display and then select ringer volume. uncleck use incoming call volume for notifications."

did it. Thanks again for the tip on this.....

11. xyzsb

xyzsb Active Member

yes but this is global for all notifications. this will silence your texts, gtalk, google voice and all other notifications. the silent ringtone option lets you fine tune what notifications you want to receive. but honestly i don't know what caused it to disappear.

12. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Guest

On my Inc, the Calendar settings is the only when that doesn't have a "silent" ring tone in the list.

13. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Like the OP, I have no silent ring selections in my notifications list either...for anything. Have to do it by de-selecting notifications altogether or choose vibe. I think the reason for the head scratching is that some phones must come preloaded with different notification options than others. Silent should be an option in all message types IMO, more easily customizable that way.

14. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Guest

You may be right as Calendar is the ONLY one where I don't have it. I wonder if this is something that a hard reset would fix? That's not something I'm going to try without knowing it will work though! I've put in a query to HTC support on this.