Turn off roaming, sprint onlyTips

Last Updated:

1. sitlet

sitlet Banned This Topic's Starter

There is one spot at work where I get about 1 bar of sprint service, but verizon has full bars. With my old phone, whenever i was at work, there was an option to turn the phone to sprint only, roam only, or automatic. I would turn it to sprint only, yes it used the battery a bit more but i wasn't charged for roaming on phone calls or data. Today, i noticed my evo went into roaming automatically. But when i left work, it stayed on roaming for about a half hour, even though i have great sprint coverage everywhere on my way home. I looked, but could not find an option like my old phone had, so if it ever gets "stuck" in roam mode, i can switch it back.

Advertisement
  2. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I set mine to Sprint only today since there is a video control booth I spend time in that has equally bad Sprint and roaming (Verizon) coverage so it keeps flipping back and forth killing the battery.

Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Roaming -> check "Sprint only"

hendry70 likes this.
  3. sitlet

sitlet Banned This Topic's Starter

Yep, that would be it. Guess I looked over that setting. Thanks

4. codered78

codered78 Member

Before turning off your roaming, you need to check with Sprint to see if you are paying for roaming. I am on the everything plan and do not pay for roaming.

5. Joey47

Joey47 Member

i too dont have to pay for roaming, but if it does save on battery life i will switch to sprint only. anybody have an answer to that.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

Within some limitations, roaming is free on all Sprint everything plans.

I think a strong roaming signal will use less power than a weak Sprint signal.

7. jvasco2010

jvasco2010 Member

U get charged for data roaming. Even on everything plans

8. cwheeler116

cwheeler116 New Member

i have the everything plan and have not had charges for data roaming

9. Texas Cop

Texas Cop Active Member

What is the benefit of having it set as Sprint Only? Is it because it will be less drain on the battery? Having it set to Sprint Only does what for phone calls and data usage?

10. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member

If you are in a fringe - iffy - SPCS coverage area where your phone is undecided to either hop over to roam or stay native on SPCS - it will vastly help with your life.

That said, I also bought an app called Roam Control which will put me to roam only if I feel the auto setting is not providing the best connectivity.

11. BamaInArk

BamaInArk Well-Known Member

There used to be an issue several years ago with roaming. Sprint was always a digital network while the other providers were still upgrading. If roaming on a analog network a roaming analog connection used more battery power. I'm not sure how it is now with most networks going digital. I would assume digital roaming would be similar to being on Sprints network as far a power usage but not sure.