Turn off the camera shutter sound

Last Updated:

1. sdguy67

sdguy67 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to turn off this annoying shutter sound without silencing my whole phone? If not, there really needs to be because it is really loud and annoying

Advertisement
  2. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

Cannot be done. It's required to be there by law.

However, there are other applications on the Market that take pictures without a shutter sound.

3. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

I would love to know where that law is in the law books. By the way every windows mobile phone I ever owned could shut off shutter sound out the box. Those crazy law breaking windows phone guys

4. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

Put your phone on silent or turn the media volume all the way down. Tadah.

Edit: Just to be clear, Telexen is correct in that there is no way to turn off the camera shutter sound on its own. You can, however, make it go away if you sacrifice other sounds :).

5. pattcom

pattcom Member

I just got the Camera Pro app. That seems to be the best for me out of a few apps I've tried.
    It has a silence function. There are other free camera/demo apps that can silence it too, but some of them add too many other cute features for my liking.

I believe the "law" thing comes from Japan where I heard that they required all cell phone manufacturers to have a sound on for the cameras. (I'm not sure of that but that's what I heard).

Charles

6. sdguy67

sdguy67 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Same goes for my old Blackberry, so I have a hard time believing that it is a legal issue. If it was, I doubt they would allow apps in the market place that violated the law blatantly

7. slide13

slide13 Member

No way it is a legal issue, my Eris has a way to turn off the shutter sound in the stock camera app, works great.

8. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

With root you can either delete the shutter sound, or replace it with a blank one.

9. Toochief

Toochief Member

What is root?

10. havi007

havi007 Well-Known Member

haha

sorry i couldnt resist

my bad

neways there are theards on here to explain that to u

Why Root - Android Wiki

this link is old but explains it too u pretty well i used it wen i had the g1

11. ICANSEEYOU7687

ICANSEEYOU7687 Active Member

root your droid and delete/rename the audio file does it i believe

EDIT
    Should have read the post above me lol

12. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

There are laws, just not in the US.

13. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Download Camera ZOOM FX. Has the "Disable Shutter Sound" option ... but more important than that, it has the best camera user interface for the DROID. I also bought PRO Zoom 5X which can also turn off the shutter sound. It's UI is better than the stock camera, but not as good as Camera ZOOM FX. Just my two cents, of course. YMMV

14. meandmydroid

meandmydroid Well-Known Member

LOL!!!! Sorry, but that response was just priceless...untrue of course, but funny none the less....

Anyway...to the author of this question....as other's have already mentioned, please download "Camera Zoom FX"...does away with the annoying shutter sound that came default on the Droid (sad...why is this "customizable" phone not stocked with the simple camera options as all my other cheap-o Verizon phones I've had in the past, like being able to turn off or change the shutter sound, use multi-shot, brightness control, etc...)

15. barry99705

Actually there's a bill in Congress in the works that will enact such a law. Japan currently has such a law, so does Korea, and China.

16. MarkP

MarkP New Member

Easy to do Actually!

Remove the camera_click.ogg file from your phone.

You must be rooted to do this but you can do this using ADB Shell or Terminal Emulator. Make sure to change /system to RW first.
    ADB shell
    SU
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    mv /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg.old

Done!!! No more Clicking sound

There are a few programs on the market that allow you access the file on root as well through a GUI if your not comfortable using command lines.

Enjoy.

17. razordu30

razordu30 Member

It's not a law in the US but it's a law in other places. Straight up, the law is an upskirt or anti-perv measure for people who use their camera phone to take lewd or private photos without the other person doing it. So even though there's no law for it here, phone manufacturers do it for the lowest common legal denominator just in case the law spreads and they just don't have to deal with it.

Similarly, it is totally legal to record your phone calls without the other person knowing if you live in certain states, but you'll find that function is disabled on Moto Droid, too, because they pander to the lowest common legal denominator.

Like the above said, you can go with Camera FX Pro or just silence your phone before snapping.

18. barry99705

Break out the shotguns! There's zombies afoot!

19. Titaniac

Titaniac Well-Known Member

Ooops. Wrong thread...

20. n0really

n0really Well-Known Member

I thought it was legal everywhere, but you can't use it in court in some states unless you give prior notice.

21. Balczak

Balczak Member

Has anyone found a way to remove the "beep beep" noise when it isn't focused correctly?

22. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

You are correct. In California for example, it is illegal to record someone on the phone without their knowledge and also inadmissible in court as well.

23. Titaniac

Titaniac Well-Known Member

+1... it sounds just like the beep when u adjust the ringer volume with the up/down rocker...

24. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

This is why phone manufacturers don't allow that option. Haha. ...sadly. Even more sad is there's a whole thread with a bunch of these people getting caught in the act but I can't find it.

[​IMG]

25. n0really

n0really Well-Known Member

^ Oh man, not a good start to a teenage life.