• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turn Off Update Notification

Okay...it came up again and here's exactly what the message says word for word. This message pops up randomly every few minutes.

"System update
A system update is ready to install. Your Android device will restart and install the update. You will not be able to make any calls, including emergency calls, during installation.
Install later More info... Install now
"

"Install later More info... Install now" are the choices available. Clicking the back button is the same as "Install later", I believe, as it just postpones the message until later.

"More info..." brings up another dialogue saying:
"Android system update
This Software Update includes new enhancements and improvements for your Samsung Galaxy S III. You will be unable to use your device for the duration of the install, which is expected to take several minutes.

Restart & install
"
"Restart & install" is my only option other than clicking the back button which works just as before where it just postpones the message until later.

The message is getting annoying and I'd just like it to go away because I have no want to update. I am not interested in flashing third party ROMs either because I'd like to get to continue using the stock ROM with root privileges for the time being.

Upvote 0
You can disable the updater in manage applications. Its called software update. Or freeze it with titanium

Great idea! Thank you! I force stopped the app as well as cleared the data from it. I'll post back here for an update. It's actually called "System Update", there was no "software update" in the list. At least, I think that's the one that you were referring to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones