• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turn on GPS automatically for navigation?

novemberwhiskey

Android Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010
I keep my GPS off usually to save the battery, but hate that I have to turn it on every time when I want to use the navigation.

Is there any way I can set it so that it turns on automatically when I am using navigation?

Also, can someone explain the 3 different location settings?

1. use wireless networks
2. Use GPS satellites
3. enable assisted GPS

what are the differences b/t the 3?

I keep my GPS off usually to save the battery, but hate that I have to turn it on every time when I want to use the navigation.

Is there any way I can set it so that it turns on automatically when I am using navigation?

Also, can someone explain the 3 different location settings?

1. use wireless networks
2. Use GPS satellites
3. enable assisted GPS

what are the differences b/t the 3?

My understanding is that the gps will only turn on when needed - Google Maps, etc. - even if you leave it "on". Though it would be nice if you could set it to turn on only for certain apps.

Re: the 3 location settings.

1. wireless networks - uses cell tower triangulation to find your current location without any gps - not very accurate, but can be "close enough" to figure out where you are.

2. GPS - uses gps satellites only - accurate, but slow.

3. Assisted GPS - Is basically a combination of the two, but here's a better description - it helps make GPS acquisition of your position faster and more accurate.

Reactions: novemberwhiskey
Upvote 0
The widget just authorizes it's use. You can leave it enabled and it wont drain unless you have an abusing app. Agps allows downloading satellite position from the web. This info is then sent to the chip via a hayes AT command. It effectively hints gps chip on where to look for birds. Enable it for faster gps booting. The map app will use cell id for a super quick but course position. This is what is used for the latitude app in background. The cellid is looked up over the net to locate you. It can also use wifi if on for a fast more accurate position than cellid. Lastly it will use the gps chip too as mentioned. It will automatically match new wifi and cell towers with the gps to update/correct google's database automatically.

Upvote 0
The widget just authorizes it's use. You can leave it enabled and it wont drain unless you have an abusing app. Agps allows downloading satellite position from the web. This info is then sent to the chip via a hayes AT command. It effectively hints gps chip on where to look for birds. Enable it for faster gps booting. The map app will use cell id for a super quick but course position. This is what is used for the latitude app in background. The cellid is looked up over the net to locate you. It can also use wifi if on for a fast more accurate position than cellid. Lastly it will use the gps chip too as mentioned. It will automatically match new wifi and cell towers with the gps to update/correct google's database automatically.

Not true. When I leave GPS on, it activates everytime I do a simple google search.

Upvote 0
look into the app called Tasker. You can create all kinds of conditions such as when nav opens to toggle on gps. Search tasker in the app section of this forum. It's a very powerful app and i highly recommend it.

Sounds like something I'll have to check out. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think you can turn of the gps got google searches.

Stopping that is as easy as changing your google search settings.

Good to know: I don't have my phone yet, but can you guys describe where to access this option?

Upvote 0
Sounds like something I'll have to check out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Good to know: I don't have my phone yet, but can you guys describe where to access this option?

Optimized Search Suggestions using your location - Official Google Mobile Blog

Make sure you have turned on "Save recent locations" and "Allow use of device location" under the Settings link on the google.com home page.

So, to disable GPS, I'd think you uncheck "allow use of device location."

Upvote 0
You can use the "Auto-Enable GPS for Maps" application, which switches both WiFi and GPS on when you launch Maps, Navigation, Local or Latitude, and restores them to their old state (e.g. switched off) when you quit these apps.

Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duniti.mapsgps

Shame it doesn't work. I am rooted and all it does is switch on wifi. Hope it gets fixed as there is nothing else like it in the store, unless someone knows different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones