• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turn on USB Drive Mode; Turn off Kies

casket88

Lurker
Sep 26, 2011
Hi All,

I have recently purchased Missing Sync from Mark/Space and cannot get it to sync. I think the reason is that Kies keeps on hijacking the connection.

The phone needs to be in 'USB Drive Mode' but I have no idea how to turn this on. I read somewhere that certain applications can set defaults on USB connections... so when I connect via USB it a Samsung Kies screen comes up and tells me it is connecting or that I can press any key to quit. The problem is that when I quit out of it, I can no longer access the phone through the computer!

That is, I plug it in an Samsung Kies comes up. I can then see the device in Windows Device manager as "SAMSUNG ANDROID PHONE". I can browse to the SD cards and view the data. But whenever I quit the Kies app on the phone the device gets removed from device manager and I am unable to do anything with the phone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi All,

I have recently purchased Missing Sync from Mark/Space and cannot get it to sync. I think the reason is that Kies keeps on hijacking the connection.

The phone needs to be in 'USB Drive Mode' but I have no idea how to turn this on. I read somewhere that certain applications can set defaults on USB connections... so when I connect via USB it a Samsung Kies screen comes up and tells me it is connecting or that I can press any key to quit. The problem is that when I quit out of it, I can no longer access the phone through the computer!

That is, I plug it in an Samsung Kies comes up. I can then see the device in Windows Device manager as "SAMSUNG ANDROID PHONE". I can browse to the SD cards and view the data. But whenever I quit the Kies app on the phone the device gets removed from device manager and I am unable to do anything with the phone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

To solve your problem first you need to disable kies.. it is indeed hijacking the phone before missing sync can do it's thing. Another option is to opt for a wifi sync like mine, which I use Cheetah Sync

Upvote 0
Hi and thanks.

"On your phone, go to menu>settings>wireless and network>USB settings>select Ask on connection. Whenever you connect to PC, phone will ask you, which connection you want. You have to select mass storage."

I looked there but there is no "USB Settings". There is however "USB Utilities" but this mode does not allow the sync.

"To solve your problem first you need to disable kies.. it is indeed hijacking the phone before missing sync can do it's thing."

I have had a look and I am unable to find out how to disable Kies. It is not running in the task manager and I can't find it under applications. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones