1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Turn over to silence as per HTC advert - doesnt work?Support

1. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

The UK HTC TV adverts show a Desire, and the tag that you can simply flip your phone to silence it.

But this doesnt seem to work :confused:

Advertisement
  2. aldredd

aldredd Well-Known Member

strange - it does work for me - unless it's already upside down, in which case you have to flip it right side up then upside down again :eek:)

Does the gyro work in other circumstances, such as rotating the screen?

May be a setting somewhere - i'll see if I can find one
  3. adam_hilluk

adam_hilluk Well-Known Member

Mine just sometimes will and sometimes won't... I have my screen orientation off atm and its working so don't think the issue is there
  4. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

It won't work immediately if the phone is already face down for obvious reasons. Also, it won't work if the phone is already in motion, like in your pocket or hand when the phone rings.

But it most definitely does work. If it's sitting on a table when it rings, picking it up with make the phone descend the volume by about 80%. If you flip it over while it's descending, it will then silence it immediately. I love the feature as I hate having the volume up loud and then it continues to ring loud while looking at the phone. I used to hit the volume button on my iPhone because of this. With the Desire I don't have to do anything.

There is a setting in the phone to disable/enable it - Quiet ring on pickup.
  5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Seems it does, but only now and again. Cant consistently do it
  6. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

i didnt think it was a feature of desire bravo. i thought it was a feature of desireHD
    our version uses the gyro to sense shake etc where is the HD uses the proximity sensor akaik
  7. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was consistent either, until I realized that motion OF ANY KIND cancels the feature. So if you move the phone shortly before the ringer goes off, the feature won't work. I find that if I'm following the "rules", it works 100% with my phone. Double check how you're using the phone and see if it's ok. You may have a faulty phone if it doesn't work properly.
    :(
  8. Rob Jones

Rob Jones Well-Known Member

Two different things though. Turn the phone over for silent and quiet(er) when you pick up

Both great functions both work on my Desire
  9. cscan

cscan Member

Hi,

I just write a simple app based on your requirement. Go to market and search by "flip over". This app will go into silent mode or vibrate mode if you flip over the phone. Also it has feature to enable the back camera preview to detect whether you are in pocket or hand bag. If detect, ignore the silent feature.

A bonus point is another feature about voice recording. Hope it is useful when you sudden talk to you boss. :)

Thanks for trying and rating.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    nicka3200 likes this.