1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Turn the Camera Flash LED on and off!!

1. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

If you have root here is a way to turn the Camera LED on and off for a real flashlight app. No working widget but it is based on the Desire hardware exploit from Damunix which I've adapted for the Incredible. I'm using superuser.apk but I think the unregulated su sticky method should work too.

Install Gscript from the market, or a terminal app if you are a glutton for typing punishment every time.
    In Gscript select Menu - Add Script
    Name: LED On
    Needs SU checked and obviously Gscript has to be granted SU.
    Body: echo 125 > /sys/devices/platform/flashlight.0/leds/flashlight/brightness
    Save it off and select Menu - Add Script again
    Name: LED Off
    Needs SU checked
    Body: echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/flashlight.0/leds/flashlight/brightness
    Save that one off

Run LED On to turn it on and LED Off, well you get it. Now we just need a stand alone app that runs in SU to clean it up. In any case this is much better than the $1 app in the Market that crashes the camera and requires a reboot.

Advertisement
    killadanny, Taylored, dgourd and 2 others like this.
  2. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Hmm seems Lamppu works too. I thought I'd done something cool. Back to my hole...
  3. corywf

corywf Member

Lampuu does work but crashes the camera. The script works well!
  4. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Nice work man! Having options is always great so even though there are other apps on the market that may or may not do the same, dont shy away from making scripts like you did above. Some people may find your script better, or maybe it will work better on their device vs other apps out there.

Good work!
  5. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

nice work man... and yea lampuu works but at least u found another way
  6. snowzach

snowzach Member

Holy crap... put 255 in and look at it.. I'm still seeing little white dots...
  7. snowzach

snowzach Member

Looks like 128 is as bright as you can go without it shutting off automatically.. (ie working like a flash)
  8. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks!
  9. andreyua

andreyua Active Member

This is amaazziiing! I wish I could run 255 continuosly. Any tricks?
  10. Lefort1

Lefort1 Well-Known Member

Anyone who's tried this script, does it allow the light to stay on while video recording or does it crash?
  11. Taylored

Not working for me.
  12. duradrinx

duradrinx New Member

Echo not found errors for me... verified that I didn't mistype and su access is granted.
  13. andreyua

andreyua Active Member

Guys,

Make sure you are using gscript and you allowed its SU priceledges. Oh and you obviously need root.
  14. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

echo may need to be in lower case. Linux is a case sensitive OS.

Lamppu doesn't seem to crash my camera but I'll keep trying (to crash it :) ) Yea 255 tells it just to flash. Lamppu is able to sustain the brighter mode. Maybe that's what crashes the camera after a bit?

Thanks for the props BTW.
  15. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

Thanks, worked perfectly.
  16. Dr_Freeman

Dr_Freeman Member

lamppu does not use the brighter one, i wrote a small script to loop the "255" command, it works, and also works while using the camera. however, it flickers a bit, but the main problem is that the LEDs get VERY HOT when left on 255. also i cant figure out how to turn it off short of restarting the phone.
  17. Taylored

I'd like to test out that loop on my phone. Would you mind posting the script or sending a PM?

18. paimon.soror

Yikes, LED's generally shouldn't get very hot...if they are that means there is far too much voltage flowing into the diode. If running 255 makes the LED hot, chances are you want to not use that value or you may kill the diode
  19. Dr_Freeman

Dr_Freeman Member

sure, heres the script. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Code (Text):
    1. while true; do
    2.   out=`echo 255 > /sys/devices/platform/flashlight.0/leds/flashlight/brightness`
    3.   done

this does continue to loop while the camera is on, but i wouldnt recommend it.
  20. paimon.soror

Probably uses a significant amount of cpu time too to constantly write out 0xFF to that port lol, not to mention no "nice" way to end the script