• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Turn USB Debugging on in Recovery Mode?

Yes I did.

When downloading it, it says everything worked fine but there's an error recovering data.

Was "MD5 mismatch" the gist of the error message?

If so, then see colchiro's post above (and below :)):

What's the backup name you're try to restore? Is it all numbers or did you rename it to something more meaningful in Rom Manager or a file browser like Root Explorer?

This is a normal backup name (it's date-time stamp): 2012-04-08.02.25.44

+1, +1, +1 :)

Upvote 0
Was "MD5 mismatch" the gist of the error message?

If so, then see colchiro's post above (and below :)):

+1, +1, +1 :)

It was numbers, I didn't change the name.

Here's what it said while I was restoring a backup:

Checking md5
Erasing boot before restore
Restoring boot image
Restoring system
Restoring data
Error while restoring /data!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
It was numbers, I didn't change the name.

Here's what it said while I was restoring a backup:

Checking md5
Erasing boot before restore
Restoring boot image
Restoring system
Restoring data
Error while restoring /data!

Ah, thanks!

Can I ask if you had an extraordinary amount of data used in your "SD card" (/sdcard)?

I can only imagine two scenarios that you'd have a failure in restoring the data partition:

1. No space left on /data (presumably because /data/media (where /sdcard is symlinked) is using-up "too much" space)

2. Actual media / block errors on the NAND memory (not good)

Since the "SD card" is "shared" with other stuff on the /data partition, its conceivable that this would explain all of your issues--and gives you a way to fix it (i.e., get your adb USB driver issues resolved, adb shell into your device while booted into ClockworkMod, and free-up some space by deleting files in your /data/media area).

Let us know!

Upvote 0
P.S. I still don't know why my 10 or so backups aren't working properly.:mad:

If you're looking to free up space, some of those backups would be a good place to start if you don't need them all. They're on the large side. This will be interesting if its a space issue. I haven't seen a case yet where somebody has used up the /sdcard partition but its bound to happen sooner or later.

Upvote 0
Like 10 but how do you delete them in recovery?

- Get your adb USB drivers installed:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/474570-how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736590

- Make sure you've got the adb utility available:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/474570-how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736592

- Start your phone up in custom recovery

- Verify adb USB connectivity by typing adb devices (you should see your device's serial number followed by the word "device")

- Once you've verified adb connectivity, make sure ClockworkMod has mounted your /sdcard partition by navigating to the "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" (don't select anything)

- Start-up an adb shell and navigate to your /sdcard area and start cleaning-up your large files:

c:\> adb shell
# cd /data/media
# df .---------------------(write-down what this says after you type the command)
# cd clockworkmod/backup
# ls -a -l

At this point, review the above list to identify and delete the older ClockworkMod backup directories, being sure to leave the most recent or the one you know is good, intact)

Here is the format for the delete command (you'll have to adjust this according to the directory names you see above):

# rm -r ccyy-mm-dd.hh.mm.ss

If you've really got 10 Nandroid backups, I would delete at least four or five of them.

- After you've freed-up space, navigate in CWM back to main menu, select "backup/restore", then "restore", then select your the appropriate Nandroid backup to attempt to restore again

Good luck and let us know!

Upvote 0

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...gs-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736590

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...gs-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736592

- Verify adb USB connectivity by typing adb devices (you should see your device's serial number followed by the word "device")

- Once you've verified adb connectivity, make sure ClockworkMod has mounted your /sdcard partition by navigating to the "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" (don't select anything)

- Start-up an adb shell and navigate to your /sdcard area and start cleaning-up your large files:

# cd /data/media
# cd clockworkmod/backup
# ls -a -l

At this point, review the above list to identify and delete the older ClockworkMod backup directories, being sure to leave the most recent or the one you know is good, intact)

Here is the format for the delete command (you'll have to adjust this according to the directory names you see above):

If you've really got 10 Nandroid backups, I would delete at least four or five of them.

- After you've freed-up space, navigate in CWM back to main menu, select "backup/restore", then "restore", then select your the appropriate Nandroid backup to attempt to restore again

^^Killer good post. Absolutely awesome.

I am going to add to it if I may SA by posting a screenshot of these actions in a live dos window. Mainly to show the slightly longer route to access your adb location if you don't have an environmental variable set up for global adb/fastboot usage. This is what I was doing on the very first command...cd'ing to the platform-tools folder in order to execute adb commands. Note that I have the full sdk installed so if you use mini adb, the path will vary according to it's specific name and location on the C:\ (I'm assuming you'd install on the root of C:\).

iowabowtech-albums-my-pics-picture5912-dos2.jpg

So what I have circled are the spots where I actually typed a command. The rest is just a byproduct of the session, pretty much dos letting you know that what you just did was accepted. I also just noticed I accidentally used (ls -l) instead of SA's command. Just habit on my part, go with his commands verbatim to keep things fluid. You can see I decided to keep my most recent backup and instead deleted my second most recent on that last command. Repeat as many times as you want to delete backups, just don't forget to leave one or two. :) Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Awesome, IBT! :)

I had to do mine from memory--no access to verify things via adb here at work :D.

Cheers and thanks for the very nice follow-up and enhancement (teamwork for the win! :)).

edit: Oh, GalaxyNexus, typing a df . command after you've done the cd /data/media would be very informative and interesting. I'll update my notes above to include that command to for you to share with us if possible (that'll show us how much space you had used and free before you start deleting).

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
I had to do mine from memory--no access to verify things via adb here at work.

:eek:

That's difficult enough but the real stroke of genius was using clockwork (choose zip from sd card) to force a mount and it's required, I tried without doing so and it was a fail. Before that I tried to mount /sd card which didn't exist as an option and then I remembered oh yeah, this is a gnexus. :)

Brilliant maneuver! Definitely need to file that trick into the "must remember" category.

Upvote 0
:eek:

That's difficult enough but the real stroke of genius was using clockwork (choose zip from sd card) to force a mount and it's required, I tried without doing so and it was a fail. Before that I tried to mount /sd card which didn't exist as an option and then I remembered oh yeah, this is a gnexus. :)

Brilliant maneuver! Definitely need to file that trick into the "must remember" category.

LOL, thanks!

You can also manually force if from one of the mount options (advanced menu, maybe?). But that takes a little more navigation in CWM and I thought this might be more straightforward.

I had to learn this the hard way ;) :) [when I wrote the first rooting guide, some folks were having trouble pushing the su.zip file onto the /sdcard; turns out that CWM doesn't mount it until he needs to, so you have to force the issue by either of the two ways above or push the file directly to /data/media].

Upvote 0

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/474570-how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736590

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/474570-how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736592

# cd /data/media
# df .---------------------(write-down what this says after you type the command)
# cd clockworkmod/backup
# ls -a -l

I have sdk installed, but to use it don't you have to have usb debugging on? Also how do you turn it on?

Upvote 0
I have sdk installed, but to use it don't you have to have usb debugging on? Also how do you turn it on?

Its already on for the mini-OS that runs for ClockworkMod custom recovery (that's the stuff I was talking about in my very first reply to you ;) :)).

You're good-to-go as far as that setting goes...

Upvote 0
When i type in adb devices in cmd it says list of devices and shows no devices. There has to be an easier way to this. I installed SDK to my pc but not my phone. Does it make a difference?

I'm getting tired at messing up everything Android related

GalaxyNexus,

The core of your issue at the moment is your adb USB drivers. You need to get the proper adb USB drivers installed on your PC.

The adb client and the SDK are only installed on your PC, not on your phone. There is an adb component on your phone: its the adb daemon that the adb server/client on your PC communicate with. That adb daemon is running under ClockworkMod when you boot into custom recovery.

You do have another option, which would be to re-flash your phone back to stock. But this, too, requires that you have fastboot USB drivers installed. However, the WugFresh Root Toolkit appears to install the fastboot drivers for you, so that might be a better option.

Flashing your phone back to stock / factory might be your easiest option, but if you spend a little time digging into to getting the adb USB drivers installed, you could pursue the /data/media cleanup options that we've outlined above.

Let us know.

Upvote 0
OK guys i installed the Galaxy nexus tool kit. Only problem is that it always says: waiting for device. If I can just get it to recognize my Nexus then I'm saved!

Sorry about the previous Debby Downer post

LOL, GN, no worries, mate!

Its possible that you have a bad USB cable or a wonky port.

I would try a different cable, port, and also make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port (I personally have had issues using adb and fastboot on a USB 3.0 port on my desktop computer).

edit: by the way, as frustrating as this is, you are learning a lot of new stuff and it will "sink in", since you've earned this hard-won knowledge :).

Upvote 0
WE FIXED MY PHONE!!!:D:D:D:D

Let me just say:

This would've have happened without all of your support the last week or so. If I wasn't for you guys I would be carrying around a flip phone right now.

Instead...

I'm on the the #1 android site of all time, using the best phone on the face of the PLANET! :D

I'd just wanted to take the time to thank you ALL for ALL of your help!

Upvote 0
WE FIXED MY PHONE!!!:D:D:D:D

Let me just say:

This would've have happened without all of your support the last week or so. If I wasn't for you guys I would be carrying around a flip phone right now.

Instead...

I'm on the the #1 android site of all time, using the best phone on the face of the PLANET! :D

I'd just wanted to take the time to thank you ALL for ALL of your help!

Details, man! We need details! :) :p :)

Congrats, by the way--you fixed your phone...we just helped you out a bit :).

Was it a space issue? (i.e., did deleting some backups free-up enough space to restore a Nandroid?).

Cheers and again, great job!

Upvote 0
Details, man! We need details! :) :p :)

Congrats, by the way--you fixed your phone...we just helped you out a bit :).

Was it a space issue? (i.e., did deleting some backups free-up enough space to restore a Nandroid?).

Cheers and again, great job!

I used the WugFresh Toolkit. It turns out it was my stupid USB port. Honestly, I have no idea what the issue was:thinking:.

BTW it was a TEAM effort not just me. :p

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones