• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root turn your captivate into a wifi hotspot

Those of you running a custom 2.2 ROM may well already be aware that there are two types of tethering. As described in the first post, they are talking about USB tethering. Froyo also has WIFI tethering.

Both work fine for me using most of the 2.2 custom ROMs. I can't really see a whole lot of use to either because (a) I have the crappy 200mb data plan and (b) It's slow compared to most traditional WIFI connections these days.

I strictly use the data plan when I'm totally unable to get a WIFI signal elsewhere. I can't see the need for tethering unless say I want to be gaming online while driving down the interstate - LOL.... and my tiny ass data plan isn't gonna work too well with that.

Upvote 0
I have used the Wifi tethering when I wanted to use my work laptop at my mother's house before she had high speed Internet. I have also pulled over to send an e-mail half way through my hour drive home to meet a deadline. The wireless access point is extremely handy, especially for people who don't always work at the office or for people that travel. You can use it most places you get a cell phone signal and, unlike many public Wifi access points like the airport or some of the upscale hotels, you don't have to pay extra for it.

Upvote 0
You are overthinking this, AT&T is too lazy to bother with this and probably couldn't pull it off it they wanted. They don't even bother to force dataplans on smartphones they don't brand themselves and would just take getting a list of updated IMEI numbers.

What they do know is that 99% of their customer aren't going to bother installing a custom ROM. So they just stuck some toll application on the phone that checks your data plan before it allows tethering. Heck, you might even be able to get around it by installing a 3rd party app if you sideload it.

I didn't think I was overthinking it.

Recent news would seem to indicate I may be right.

But I didn't expect it so soon

Consumers can and should fight this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones